Ordered a 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erasr, Mar 10, 2009.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it arriving!!

It's the basic model with more memory etc.

I am looking to getting some of my old games playing on it, but what do I need to do first? I know it's a basic question.

I don't have a copy of Windows XP, do I have to buy one and if so do I just buy the normal copy? I'm not sure how the whole Bootcamp thing works, but my MBP should be arriving in a couple of days and I want to be prepared to have everything ready.

2. NickM macrumors 6502

I too recently got my first Mac.
    Just buy a "normal" copy of windows... probably just XP Professional or XP Home. Take your pick.

Boot Camp is really simple. Your laptop will arrive, you run the "Boot Camp Assistant" and it will guide you through it pretty much.
    You'll create a new partition to install Windows on, then you will insert the Windows install disc and let it install.
    After that, if I remember correctly, you'll put in the Max OS X install disc and let Boot Camp finish setting up. It's really quick and easy. Don't worry. ;)

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Bootcamp is really easy to set up! You just follow the on screen menus in the utilities folder.

Yes you need a normal or OEM copy of XP or if you torrent you can search for TinyXP (not that I would promote it anything illegal).

4. Arkangil macrumors regular

I am with you guys in that I'm hoping to buy my first Mac in the form of a MBP and will be using bootcamp.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I think my question falls in line with the scope. How large are you guys making your bootcamp partition?

5. NickM macrumors 6502

In case you were wondering, you also have the option of running Windows inside of OS X.
    You can use either Parallels or VMWare Fusion.
    If you're looking to do really graphically intense stuff in Windows, like running 3D games, then use Boot Camp.
    Otherwise, you could probably get away with using Parallels or Fusion.
    It's more convenient, because you can just pull it up without having to reboot (not a big deal, I don't mind it at all), BUT you will be sharing resources for running each operating system.
    You said you beefed up the RAM in your computer, which is a good thing if you want to run Parallels or Fusion.
    I'd suggest just setting up Boot Camp and having Windows on its own partition. Try that out for a while while you get comfortable with using OS X by itself, without having to involve Windows running virtually.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

6. NickM macrumors 6502

On my 320 gb hard drive, which really ends up being right under 300 or so, I gave Windows XP Professional a 65 gb partition.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I gave my windows partition 12gb and i think i've used it once since i converted to Mac. I use VMware fusion by the way.

8. jagr200 macrumors member

I just setup my Windows XP Professional with Boot Camp last night. I gave it the 32GB so I could use FAT formatting. That way I can save from MAC OS X to Windows.

Also you can probably score a free copy of XP from someone who has an older computer. I had one laying around from my sisters old Dell Laptop. Worked like a charm and I saved $80.

9. FlashGordon7 macrumors newbie

Hey all. I have also just bought my first Mac, a lovely 15"MBP :cool:

I used Bootcamp to give myself a 32GB partition, and bought a copy of VMWare Fusion. But I had trouble with the activation through Fusion. It installed VMWare Tools but said I had run out of activations so I need to get Microsoft to give me a new serial number :eek:

However, can I install WinXP using the easy install and then use that later to boot up natively in WinXP for when I am playing games and stuff that would be better using all of the MBP's capabilities?

10. jagr200 macrumors member

Good luck having M$ give you a new activation number. I was on the phone for 2 hours with them trying to get a new one. I could partially read the number on the bottom of my old laptop that corresponded with the version of XP I was installing but I couldnt make out all the numbers and letters because it was so worn. I finally got one after being on the freakin phone for 2 hours.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

It was pretty quick for me, I basically just told them that my hard drive got fried and i was installing on a new computer. (which is technically true) they gave me an activation code right away. They only asked me for a number that was generated on the screen when i tried to activate with my serial number.

12. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

To be honest, I wouldn't touch XP, it's crapola. I'd just put Windows 7 on there and boot into that or use as a virtual machine. It's free for now while it's beta, so you won't have to pay for it. It'll stop in August though, so then you can buy real Windows 7 for cheap

13. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so does most people think it's worth getting the free Windows 7 for now then? That sounds easy to do all the bootcamp stuff, thanks for advice.

So, option is to try get a copy of XP or download free windows 7.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Make sure you partition using Boot Camp Assistant before you fill up the hard drive with data. I'd get Windows XP and upgrade to SP3. Stable as hell, especially for gaming, plus it is an officially supported platform, unlike Windows 7.

15. NickM macrumors 6502

Oh really?
    Why's that??

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

because it's a Microsoft product, DUH! :cool:

(*should not be taken seriously...*)

17. J DILLA macrumors member

do any of you guys play Steam games (counter stirke, half life, tf2, etc) on your mbp? that'd probably be the only reason i would install windows on mine....

18. raclotz macrumors member

raclotz

yes.. i do play counter strike on my mbp... alot... thats why i have xp installed... i also prefer playing games on xp instead of mac OS...

19. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Thats horrible advice. You are telling him to not touch the proven most stable version of windows, used by corporations worldwide and suggesting he uses a Beta version that is still in testing instead :confused:

20. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

yep :)

FREE vs $75, when XP is going to be the third oldest version of Microsoft's own Windows product come summer.