ordered a macbook pro, not know what to start

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smilemoveon, Apr 23, 2008.

1. smilemoveon macrumors newbie

Hi, through your guys' help on the forum, I ordered a entry-level macbook pro, hopefully it would arrive this weekend.

I plan to use windows through vmware fusion, and know that it's better to install bootcamp before vmware fusion after reading the threads of "windows on mac". I plan to allocate 50 GB and 1GB RAM to windows, and leave 200 for mac, basically I will use windows for matlab, Micro visual studio, office and msn. Athough searching the webites, not sure should I partition the the total 250GB into two parts through unity in mac before I start installing bootcamp, or I can allocate the space for windows while installing bootcamp?

After get the mac, I think, the first thing I would do is to get matlab installed in windows as I want to be able to work on it at home for uni project. I am going to get one copy of matlab and windows xp service pack2 from university. And what programs do you use in your mac and what would you firstly do to start using your macs? I am new to mac and would like to make use the best of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I cant help you with fusion or parrallels but here is what I did for windows on mac:

I used bootcamp and originally had a 50 gb partition for windows, the rest for mac. Well, I realized I needed more room for mac so I redid my windows partition with 10gb and installed any programs I may need for windows on an external drive using an eSata drive and an express card slot (since it was mostly for games) and I am really happy with that setup.

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Bootcamp is the software you use to create a Windows partition.

As for programs for the Mac, that mainly depends on what you want to do. My must-have programs include Logic, Reason, Handbrake, VisualHub, Transmission, Max, Crossover Games, and VLC.

4. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

5. smilemoveon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all your input. After I posted the thread last night, I went home and found a missyou paper from TNT and called TNT to redeliver today. I was very excited as I order 13th and the apple told me that it would be estimated delivered on 25th initially then changed to 28th, and I checked my apple account everyday this week and there was no update for the order. however what turnd out after waiting for a whole morning is a printer, one of the 3 pieces I do not want most, my laptop and fusion are still in the warehouse. Anyway I am not too disappointed, and still very happy if I could get it tomorrow and plan to install lots of things this weekend.

chrono1081, that's a good idea. Is there any requirement for the external drive? must be an eSata drive to install any programs for windows, my brother just brought me one external drive which is on the way to my accommodation. If I need your help for fusion though I have read the bootcamp manual on-line and prepared to call support, should I just post in the forum or could I just send you a privite messeng?

Right, I need do nothing about mac before using bootcamp assistant. I am trying to move the programs I need from windows to Mac, I am planing to use eclipse for java, perhaps try xcode for C++, NeoOffice for office which is recomened in the forum, and then check emails, browise webiste, explore some media entertainment alternatives in mac for movies,songs, any recommendations or I just use the built-in software in mac? I think, my only need for windows is the matlab and msn messenger, perhaps VB in the future.

Thanks for your link. I plan to install Latex in windows and have not thought for Mac. I started to learn and use Latex in the university Linux machine last month. That's a good point. I will install it on Mac.

6. molintorch macrumors member

since you already have a copy of vmware coming, I would create a windows install through there first, figure out ewlhich programs will work, and then decide if you want to bootcamp. Personally I use bootcamp for games and everything else I need goes into vmware so I can stay in OSX. The external hd works, but I got tired carrying it everywhere. I ended up replacing my 160 gigs with a 300 gig. Formatted, that gives me 160 for OSX and 100 for games in bootcamp. Nice thing about bootcamp is, you can throw away the partition, reclaim the space in OSX and create it again larger or smaller if you want.

Hope this helps!

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Here's what you sound you want to do.. you want to create a windows partition but still be able to use it in VMWare Fusion (so you don't need to install 2x windows). Thats easy, go through boot camp assistant, make your partition and install.

Unity is a feature in VMWare Fusion which renders Windows' windows like running in OSX. So opening Word, you won't have the background of windows but on your desktop running any other mac program. Unity has nothing to do with partitioning size.