Ordered a MBP should i cancel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dylanlewis2000, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. dylanlewis2000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #1
    Hello im new here!

    I ordered a mac book pro for my birthday comming up next week... exciting times!! however i have noticed that there are various resources around the net saying that there are new Macbook pros comming out now in January 2010, so ... should i wait?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    We don't know. Can you do without your computer until January? Do you do anything on your machine that would necessitate a better processor? My guess is, since you're asking the question, that it won't matter at all.
     
  3. Ann P macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #3
    It's up to you if you're willing to wait for something that might or might not happen. Do you need a new laptop or have another for the time being? Don't take anyone's word for it. The money is yours, the choice is yours.
     
  4. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #4
    I had a sony laptop which was written off in September, and i have a small 12" philips laptop. Its something that i have been looking at but i dont want to get something then Apple say they have found a new processor and battery which will give extra battery life or something similar.
     
  5. uberamd macrumors 68030

    uberamd

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #5
    As a lot of people have said, the new laptop might carry a new chipset and being an early adopter with that kind of stuff can be iffy.

    I suggest that you don't cancel unless a bump in processor really means a lot to you.
     
  6. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #6
    How big a bump are we talking. The one im getting is the 13" MBP. What about battery life?
     
  7. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #7
    You would notice a minute or no change in processing power or battery life. From the sound of it you are a casual user and will barely start using the actual power of the computer. So to you, it shouldn't matter at all.

    There will ALWAYS be something newer and better coming around the corner, if you keep this mentality you'll wait forever.
     
  8. macdudechafic macrumors newbie

    macdudechafic

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Location:
    Beirut, Lebanon
    #8
    i think you should wait till january..

    i didnt :p
     
  9. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #9
    Most of the time yes, but i will be using it for processing RAW photos from my 400d, and the odd bits and bobs. Im going to throw W7 on it too, so i want as much power as i can tbh. I really wish they would disclose the details of what they plan! GRRR
     
  10. Greenman85 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #10
    if you can, wait til the new one comes out. it should be by feb and it should be worth it if you can stand a couple of months of delay.
     
  11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
    #11
    Buy now. Whatever processor bump is probably not going to even be noticeable.
     
  12. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #12
    what improvements will we be likley to see?
     
  13. macgirl89 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2009
    Location:
    New York, USA
    #13
    If you want as much power as you can get, then get the 17" with the 3.06 GHz processor, 8GB of RAM, and the 256GB solid-state drive. That should be a beast.

    If all you can afford is a 13", I would recommend getting one now! Get the same specs as me: 2.53 GHz, 4GB RAM, and 500GB hard drive. This is my first Mac and I absolutely LOVE it! I do the same kind of stuff you do and it works perfectly. It's really fast and I get 7-9 hours of battery life. It's amazing. :D
     
  14. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

    Cliff3

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #14
    Neither of those things will tax the CPU all that much. Aperture or Lightroom will want 4GB installed to be happy, as will VMWare/Parallels if you're planning on using one of them to host a W7 VM.

    Also, I think 1Q10 is more accurate than saying January. My understanding is that Intel is expected to announce the new chips in late January. Vendor product announcements will follow that, and actual shipping dates are anybody's guess at this point.
     
  15. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    #15
    Wow...what are you using it for on average? Granted mine is a 15" but 6 has been the most I have ever gotten just surfing the net with nothing intensive running. 9 hours seems impossible even if it was just idling.
     
  16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

    l.a.rossmann

    Joined:
    May 15, 2009
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #16
    If you need to do work on it immediately, buy it now.

    If you have no pressing work and have a machine that suits your needs presently, wait for the new one.

    It is that simple.
     
  17. Warcraft Tauren macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    #17
    Considering you made this thread and it looks like you haven't made up your mind you should wait. But if you don't get it now and wait until Jan or Feb and Apple doesn't upgrade its notebook line will you get it then? If you get it Feb because Apple didn't upgrade its notebook but then Apple upgrades it in March... what will you do then?

    I recently got a macbook pro and I didn't wait, but its up to you.
     
  18. awesomedeluxe macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    #18
    15" and 17" are more likely to be updated with new processors first. Arrandale i5 likely for both, a 10-15% increase in overall CPU performance; it also comes with its own integrated graphics processor which is only around half the 9400m's performance. Probably ATi 4670 discrete graphics on the high end, an incremental update. It's also possible these two use the ATi 4530 instead of the Arrandale IGP as the main GPU, which means you could use CrossFireX.

    13" is a little iffier. Reasonable guess is Arrandale i5 + ATI 4530, graphics switching between the Arrandale IGP and the ATI discrete card. Probably before the end of Q1.

    All speculation, of course, but I would be surprised if I was far off. Check out the mammoth "waiting for arrandale" thread if you crave every little morsel of info.
     
  19. macgirl89 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2009
    Location:
    New York, USA
    #19
    At home, I use it mostly for Internet, e-mail, music and photos, downloading videos/movies, etc. Nothing intensive (yet). But I bring it to college every day and I'm usually at school from 8 AM to 5-8 PM. I'm not using it constantly but my classes take up a good 3 hours while I'm typing up notes the whole time. I'm usually on the Internet after class using it for another 3 to 4 hours. And there's always more juice left in it when I get home, so it'll even last another hour or so. I never have to bring my charger! You just gotta know how to manipulate it so that you'll get maximum battery life (turning off sound, backlit keyboard, Bluetooth; dimming the screen to about 50%; closing any unnecessary applications; etc.).
     
  20. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009
    #20
    You are saying the Arrandale's GPU will offer half the performance that the 9400 does now? Why in the world would that be an upgrade then if the discrete GPU that improves overall graphics wont be on the low end models? Esp given only a 15% CPU increase. I would choose the current line over that in the basic 15".
     
  21. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

    SwiftLives

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2001
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #21
    Rather than wait until January, I'd wait until Black Friday. While there won't be a new machine, you might end up with a decent discount on a current machine. Which is rare for Apple. The rumors is you can expect up to a 25% discount, although that will probably be on a very high-end machine. Realistically, I'd expect 10-15% on mid-range models.
     
  22. dylanlewis2000 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    #22
    I have to buy it from my local hardware store as i had vouchers to use and the manager gave me a good deal, so happy times around. Im just uncertain about what to do. I have been waiting for a new laptop since August so i was going to get it as a birthday present for myself.

    Main thing i want from a MBP is the backlit keyboard which i have wanted for years and years and years lol... only joking but i was like wwwwhhhaaaaa when i seen that.
     
  23. polaris20 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    #23
    I can definitely understand your concern, given that I just bought one in August. But seeing as how I can run a few VM's at once, do pretty much any video editing I need, RAW photo files, music stuff, I'm pretty happy with the 13". I might get an iMac next year if they upgrade the low ends with an Arrandale i5.
     

Share This Page