iPad mini Ordered a Mini, but received an Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dread, Nov 21, 2013.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I am so disappointed. I preordered a retina mini 128 gb t-mobile through my university's Apple reseller and was told today that it had arrived. I went to the store to pick it up, but was told that there was a problem with my order. The employee screwed up my request and ordered the air instead of the mini. They offered me 5% off the price so they wouldn't get stuck with it, but I declined. The funny thing is I had been regretting the Mini purchase due to the color saturation issue, but when I picked up the air and compared its size and weight to the mini the extra vibrant screen wasn't worth it to me. The mini didn't look washed out. It just wasn't blindingly colorful. I am sure many will disagree and it was very tempting to take the air since I just sold my 3rd gen, but I waited this long so I might as well wait longer.

I hope someone says this was a cool story Bro

2. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Cool story bro.

And I'm in complete agreement - the difference in color accuracy isn't THAT big. At least not big enough for me to give up the rMini form factor either.

:D

3. dkimxd macrumors member

cool story, bro

Were they giving you the air with a 5% discount on the mini price or did they want you to pay the air price? If it was for the mini's price I would have just kept it and taken it apple for store credit..

4. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was given a discount on the air price not the mini price. In the end it wouldn't be worth the trouble. This will end up costing me more in the end because I just ordered directly from apple and paid $16 for one-day shipping. This is a tax exempt purchase through ecommerce.apple.com so the shipping time is normally 4-7 days.

I heard one of the employees getting disciplined in the back because of the mistake. I didn't make a stink about it at all, but they are pissed because they are stuck with an iPad most would not buy due to price. I hope the mini is worth the wait.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Huh? :confused:

6. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

What a story, Mark!

And I do agree, I love the mini for its form factor. The fact that the colors might be a bit subdued in comparison to the Air is not a big deal to me (though I certainly understand it could be a big deal to others). I ordered my rmini from Apple when it first became available, and hope to get it before Thanksgiving.

7. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Well the OP had ordered a 128 GB LTE model so it could be an Air at those specs. High price for a student, hence it'll be harder to sell.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The 128GB LTEs are FLYING off the shelves. I know because when I tried to get one I was tracking them with the tracking app.

No, it will not be hard to sell, and I doubt that would "piss them off".

9. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are not pissed at me but the employee who screwed up. They said they don't think they can sell it because it is tmobile and my university has a contract with Verizon. Maybe it will sell but not to me. Wish I was typing this on my mini and not my iPhone.

10. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I think you missed the point on this completely. You have been doing a great job defending the iPad on the forums as of recent though. Kudos.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Um, thanks, but not necessary. The iPad doesn't need defending, especially not from me. It defends itself very, very well. I do react to hyperbole and Apple bashing. Even though Apple doesn't need defending either, it just makes me want to respond.

12. Kimcha macrumors regular

Interesting... I always thought you were the iPad police. Watching every single thread just to make sure you put anyone into a corner who says something negative about the iPad ;)

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You thought wrong.

14. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I have an iPad mix-up story.
    When my father in law ordered a Black iPad 2 he was super disappointed to see that Apple didn't send him a Black one. He called me, mad, asking what to do and I told him to call Apple since I live across the state, but that this basically never happens. He got it engraved his his wife's name so they said he could send it back and they would ship him a new one in 3 weeks, or they would send him a nice case for free. They were super sorry, and said this basically never happens. He opted for the case since he wanted it for a trip the next week. Before they left for California he calls me after receiving his free case and says, "I see Black and White iPads on their website, but mine's Silver on the back. Do you think Apple messed that up, too?" He proceeded to take it on a hot air balloon ride to take photos.
    This it my life. :rolleyes: