Ordered a new PB...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plasticparadox, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2003
    Well, I did it. Upgrading from current iBook, which you can see in my stats. I did get the edu discount, but to be honest I'm not 100% sure I am buying the right computer at the right time.

    -probably going to be the last of the PowerPC lineup. I still use a few OS9 programs (most notably, Deus Ex) and I doubt Rosetta on Intel can handle it.
    -awesome price drop compared to what was available last week.
    -the larger screen will be nice, compared to the 12" I currently use.
    -SuperDrive will be great for backups

    -even with price drop and edu discount, it ain't exactly pocket change.
    -my iBook is still running most current apps (excluding games) fine.
    -processor bump would have been nice

    Do you all think that this is a bad idea? Should I cancel the order?
  2. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Well once you use the new PowerBook you probably won't want to go back to the iBook. But if you're unsure, maybe you should cancel it and think about it more. They'll probably be available for a while until the next revision.
  3. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2003
    Between my original post and now, the PB has just entered production thus eliminating the option to cancel.

    Guess I'm committed now.
  4. neocell macrumors 65816


    May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    It is a wicked price drop. If I was going for a new PB the 15" would be it for sure. But... if you don't really need a new one, why buy it. You said your iBook still makes ends meet. I would suggest to wait for the intel books. I think that they'll be awesome, as you can partition the drive and have OSX on one partition and Windows on the other. I would image that you'd be able to find software similar to your OS 9 programs on either OSX or Windows at that time. Well mull it over, remember it's only a computer and you shouldn't be losing too much sleep over it.
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus


    May 1, 2005
    I disagree... I went from my 12" 1.33GHz PB and 'downgraded' to the current 1.33GHz 12" iBook.

    I love my iBook more than my PB. It gets much better wi fi reception, battery runs at least 2 hours longer than my PB, it runs much cooler to the touch (even at it's hottest so far, the iBook is nowhere near the painful unbearable to handle PB). Not to mention, I feel 'safer' lugging it around campus and it seems to be more durable. Of course, if I ever needed to do anything more 'intensive' then I'd just use my iMac G5, an option that not everybody has I know...
  6. mrscribble macrumors newbie

    Dec 4, 2004
    Same here

    I've just done the same - I have the previous rev. of the 12" iBook (with the G3 instead of the G4) and just ordered the same PB. I don't have buyer's remorse because

    • I can't stand the waiting when using the iApps anymore (iMovie is a joke, and I really want to use Garageband)
    • In the UK the 15" has had a £400 drop in price compared to Tuesday (if you include the 10% I get back for using an Egg card) - it's (just) value for the PB again
    • Like you, I have a whole load of apps I might want to use for a while, and would rather sit out the early stages of Intel

    Yes it was a pretty pitiful update (I would have had no hesitation at all if they'd got the 7448 in there, something must've gone really wrong) but it's much better value than 2 days ago.
  7. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2003
    Argh, you're absolutely right. I should have just double-partitioned. Didn't even think of that. I was originally planning on holding out until the Mactels.. now I feel like an idiot for not thinking things through before ordering. :(
  8. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

    Jul 3, 2005
    Burton michigan
    why? I ordered my new powerbook the other day and I'm extremely excited. they look cooler, are faster, have better screens, improved batterylife and build quality, not to mention they are smaller.

    I can't wait to get my PB

    1 GB so Dimm Ram, 100 gb 7200 RPM HD, High def screen.......it needs to come now :(

    I'm typing on a ibook G3 right now, while its cool and all I can't wait to get my power book
  9. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Hmm intesting. I figured someone would say something like that :) I'm still thinking of replacing my 12" Powerbook with a 14" ibook because I'd like a built-in superdrive and the larger screen is easier to look at for me.

Share This Page