Ordered a White iPhone 4S, AT&T is sending me a black one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Oct 10, 2011.

1. dnkbro macrumors regular

I ordered a white iPhone 4S Friday morning a couple hours after pre-orders started on AT&T.com. Apple.com was swamped so I made the (mistake) of ordering via AT&T. The website was (obviously) glitchy/buggy and would keep bringing up error messages. Finally, I ordered the phone and in my confirmation email it says I'm getting the black version. I called AT&T customer care and they mentioned that they couldn't do anything about it and that I had to wait for it to ship out and return it or go to an AT&T/Apple store on launch day and try and get it swapped out. Anyone have experience with this? Being that I would already have an iPhone, would this work or would I end up having to wait a few weeks for the phone to be in stock to do this?

Any suggestions welcome.

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

3. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

You can get it switched out (probably via AT&T.com or AT&T Corporate Store), but your issue will be finding one to exchange in the first two weeks.

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

So you didn't order a white iPhone then...

Misleading title is misleading.

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I wouldn't be so sure. At around 2AM, I reserved two iPhones, one white and one black.

When I went back to the two separate reservations in my account, somehow they were both white. Luckily, I was able to get another black pre-order in before the window closed.

6. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

After looking at my iPhone 3Gs for almost two and a half years, I just want a change of scenery. I like the back of the black iPhone with the front of the white iPhone.

Yea, I really don't want to wait two weeks, especially since my current phone is acting up. Do you think I would get some sort of priority considering I would be doing a mere exchange?

I did. The system messed up my order.

7. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

8. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Wait until you get the order and see if you like the black color. If not, call AT&T or go to an AT&T store and tell them you got the wrong color and I'm sure they'll switch it for you.

9. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think I would have to wait in line?

10. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Not sure. If you're unlucky you might have to wait 2,3 weeks before they have one they can switch with you.

As I said, wait until you get it, and if you prefer white, play dumb as though you thought you were getting a white one the whole time.

11. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

"Play dumb." :D I was actually thinking about that but I'm not sure how far that will get it. Usually the annoyed, irate customer wins with these things. Problem is I'm too nice to be a mean customer.

12. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Really:confused: Try explaining to each person in line what happened and see if they'll let you get cuts. It sucks, but my guess is that you now have a wait ahead of you. You could stare at your iPhone box knowing you're just a box cutter away from 4s bliss, for a month or two until supply catches up with demand, or you can bite the bullet and accept the black version. I "resorted" to the black iPad 2, in April, because I didn't want to wait a month for the white one to be shipped from Apple. It's up to you, I know what I would do...

13. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

I read that I'm going to have to wait weeks and that they have to refund my credit card and remake an order just for me to get the white version. This sucks but I'm willing to wait.