Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
so, i've got a late 2008 macbook pro and i just placed an order for the Filemate 48gb expresscard ssd. I'm guessing I should load a fresh install of snow leopard to the ssd? then, should i move apps manually? i have my entire system backed up with time machine.

i just want to be able to put all of my apps, except for logic & garageband on the ssd. also, will i be able to put the iTunes app on the ssd and keep my music collection on the 500gb internal drive?

thanks in advance for the help!

systole

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Minnesnowta
Ssd

If you reinstall OSX onto the SSD, that is the root drive "/" of your system. All of your apps will install to the SSD if the default option is selected. For apps that go through an installation wizard, there is usually an option to pick which drive you want to install them on (use this to specify the internal drive for logic). For garageband, you may have to manually drag and drop it into the folder created by the installation wizard on the internal drive.

On the iTunes front, instead of just moving your library I recommend this:

Moving your Home Folder

It moves all your personal files to the internal drive, freeing up space for the applications you plan to install, while giving you more storage space without having to backup multiple locations. Good luck.

P.S. I'll be watching your thread to see what you think of the drive... About to take the plunge myself

Last edited:

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Filemate 48gb ssd came in today. Going to try to get it up and running. So, for now, should i just install OSX via the DVD onto the SSD? Then, drag apps over manually?

Not sure how I make the macbook use the system and apps from the SSD and everything else on the internal 500gb HD? Any ideas?

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Filemate 48gb ssd came in today. Going to try to get it up and running. So, for now, should i just install OSX via the DVD onto the SSD? Then, drag apps over manually?

Not sure how I make the macbook use the system and apps from the SSD and everything else on the internal 500gb HD? Any ideas?

I moved my music, movies, downloads, pictures, and other such folders that I didn't need fast access to but wanted more space for to the spinning disk and symlinked (aliased) them back to my home directory. If you wanted your whole home folder on the spinning disk you could just mount the HD at /Users or /Users/$USERNAME or somesuch (using the fstab file in /private/etc), but chances are you at least want your home Library folder on the SSD

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
ok, so i have a hard drive that only has snow leopard installed on it right now. can i just move the files from the HD straight to the Filemate by just dragging them to the filemate?

then, after that's installed, i can copy my applications, music, etc. to either the filemate or the internal HD from my time machine back up drive? is that possible?

also, how do i alias and link? i've never done any of this before. just trying to do it right. thanks for the help!

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
ok, so the ssd is working fine. i have most of my apps and OSX on it.

the internal HD has OSX as well and also has iLife, iTunes and a few other apps on it and all of my documents, music, photos, etc. How do i combine everything to work together? I see the SSD in the finder, with the internal HD below it.

I want to boot from the SSD and everything work together. How do I do that?

lauph

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
I moved my music, movies, downloads, pictures, and other such folders that I didn't need fast access to but wanted more space for to the spinning disk and symlinked (aliased) them back to my home directory. If you wanted your whole home folder on the spinning disk you could just mount the HD at /Users or /Users/$USERNAME or somesuch (using the fstab file in /private/etc), but chances are you at least want your home Library folder on the SSD

Is there a difference between symlinking and aliasing?

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
this must be a strange thing to do, using a SSD in the expresscard slot and using the internal drive too. i can't find very much info about it. no way to tell how to make iPhoto & iTunes work (they're on the internal HD) while booted from the SSD. if i figure it out, i'll post an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.