Ordered an i7 13" - thought process, feedback welcome!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Mar 4, 2011.

1. h00ligan, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

h00ligan macrumors 68030

I ordered the 2.7 13" today.. should be here tomorrow. I decided that even if I do get the new iPad, some of the same niggling things were still there.

So.. here was my thinking, now you can tell me how wrong I was to make me second guess. heh. (long post - may bore, may help others in similar circumstance)

Here's what I do..and the train of thought.

What I have, where I'm coming from
    - I'm coming from a aluminum 2.4 15" mbp 4 gigs ram, upgraded 320 7200 rpm drive - even with a pretty new battery.. the battery life was not so great.. and speedwise it's showing its age imo
    - I have an older quad core windows 7 box as a server with 1920 calibrated screen

Basic daily usage
    - I do a fair amount of forum traversing - including a fair amount of posting
    - One of the most annoying things about ipad 1 was trying to type coherent cohesive responses with the virtual keyboard, and attach files :/
    -Another annoying thing was (man I hate to say this, let me get the flame suit) browsing mma rss feeds - a fair amount of video.
    - I travel on single or double night weekend trips locally a bit.. maybe 10 weekend trips a year. with one long trip.
    - I move around the house a fair amount

More specific usage.

Photography - lightroom and photoshop. Bear in mind I did a large portion of this with the older mbp - 1440 isn't letting you do much more 'shopping than 1280, both are too small and most of the retouching I do requires 100% view anyway, so I have to scroll about 10% more now, lol. Realistically, one needs a mouse and preferably higher res.

Most of my prelim stuff is handled in lightroom. I go to PS for output sharpening, slight retouches, etc. The stuff that's done in lightroom either happens with the loupe equiv (NR, Sharpening, blemishes, etc) or doesn't require pixel level viewing (gradient, exposure comp, etc)

My server transcodes video when needed... and does a fine job. I have no issue transferring 720p mkv to my bedroom tivos, and it's on all the time. It also serves iTunes, and playon, plus a few other things. I will probably, in the next month, move to an i7 + 8 gb ram in the server.. OR.. buy an imac when they are updated and relegate the server to a headless monster in the corner, I'll cross that bridge in a few.

Why the 13" mbp not air, not 15" etc.

15" - it's getting cumbersome in some situations (lazy bed usage, tray tables, etc) and for the weight increase, I really can't see going with less than the high res matte screen.. which puts it considerably more expensive than the 13" and without too much benefit it seems (for my usage)

With the pinch to zoom gestures I don't find hitting the photography forums to suffer much.. at least for the hour in store. It's pretty fast to zoom out/in.

There aren't all that many benches, but ime, and based on what I saw.. both lightroom and ps are going to benefit more from the mhz than the extra cores (on average). If you look at the benches for ps actions - the 2.7 13" matches the 17" from what I saw. Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, I can try to post links.

I have no intentions of gaming or doing any substantial video work. For the odd video project, I can wait the extra time I think.

The macbook air was more money, and slower with a noticably worse screen (for my use) which outweighed the resolution increase.. I just couldn't justify it on my personal account.. if a company was buying and I was jetsetting, I'm on it.

In my photography, I'm carrying a fair amount of gear anyway - so the extra 1.6 lbs isn't making that much of a diff.. and frankly, even with the lower res, it has a lot more to offer.

I may have more to add later.. but for now, it certainly seems like I can forego the speed and expense of the 15 or 17, as it doesn't look to impact much based on what I regularly do..

So.... I think my logic is sound, lol. It seems other photographers are finding roughly the same as myself.. most of them seeing the same benchmarks I guess.. and deciding, we can hook up to a monitor - as we probably want a mouse for photowork anyway.

Queue 'cool story bro'//

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Just an FYI, you started saying 12in instead of 13in about 1/2 way through your post.

3. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

oofa, showing my age! I MISS MY PB 12"!!

lol, thanks.

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

Can't blame you.

5. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Congrats on your decision. Apple makes many variants of the MBP for reasons just like this. What suits you may not suit another. You do not need to justify your decisions with us. However, it was an interesting read.

Like you, I don't game and I travel all the time. I'd love the specs of the 15 or 17 but it would be overkill and a pain to lug all over the world. The 13" just "fits" my needs, (and honestly has more horsepower than I need) so it will be on order shortly.

6. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Which one are you considering?

I feel I made a well considered decision.. I was going to get the 64gig iPad.. but in the end.. the ipad at all is up for debate. I found I would put it down, refind a forum page on the laptop and type replies.. seems a bit pointless with a kindle.. but there are a few things I really enjoy about it.

If the internet is faster (opening many tabs and keyboard deployment) I may end up with the 16 or 32 in addition to the mbp.. after all, I didn't spend 2500 on the 17" :)

The post wasn't so much of a justification as more of a thinking out loud process.. as I see a lot of people asking what to get (myself included).. i figured one more thread in the ether may make it helpful. I may do some side by side comparisons between the old and new since they are so far apart and not many exist.

7. convertedmac macrumors newbie

Damn, I'd love to be getting one of these babies.

BUT, only got my 2010 MBP ~10 months ago. Hopping on the SSD bandwagon soon. It's fine, just the i7 would help out video encoding, although we do have a windows computer with quad-core i7 to do some grunt work.

Next computer will be in another 2 years I think, depending on what's out, I'll stick with the 13" MBP or get the top end Air....Ipad may even be 'decent' by then.

Congrats on the new purchase though. I think you made a great purchase here. Great computer, size and power. All of which will easily accommodate your needs. If it's starting to struggle (doubt it)... 8GB RAM and an SSD would always help :D