ordered an i7 but all i got was this lousy core2duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by basvh, Apr 30, 2010.

1. basvh macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

this is my first post but i have been reading this forum for years now.

The reason for my first post is this thing what happened:

My old powerbook died a few months ago and like all of you i was waiting for the new arrendales. However the cost of the new arrendale laptops in the netherlands (where i am living) is just crazy. I was very happy that an colleague of mine offered to bring one i7 from the states for a much lower price.

When i saw the box i just smiled but my smile disappeared when i saw in system settings that it wasn't an i7 but an c2d. My colleague did ordered an i7 so apple must have made an mistake somewhere.

i'm now arguing with apple to change the c2d for an i7 but because the laptop was bought in the usa they are not making my life easy.

Any thougths/pointers/info to help my case and to get an i7!

2. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Depends on the sales of goods laws the state that the computer was bought. In any case I think it is something that needs to be taken up with the actual store in question, not with Apple.

Case:
    Customer: I would like to buy this here MBP
    Seller: OK

Customer: I would like to buy this new MBP that just came out
    Seller: OK

Scenario 1 - you have little to fall back on
    Scenario 2 - could claim that the seller was not doing his job in making sure its the new model.

Caveat emptor!

3. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Sounds like your colleague screwed up. The only way you could get a core 2 duo instead of an i7 would either have been to get the 13" MBP (which has no i7 option), or for Apple to have shipped you a model from the previous generation as the current 15" and 17" MBP have no C2D option, only i5 and i7.

Though it would have been possible to accidentally ship you an old model (though very unlikely) I reckon it's more likely your friend messed up the order. My only advice would be to either try and return it or sell it, but Apple are most likely going to put this down to consumer error.

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

5. basvh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

the macbook pro was ordered a few days ago and it is an 15 inch. So it is strange i got an c2d. The purchase price was higher then the old c2d but i don't have the receipt yet.

Still the problem is that the laptop was ordered in the usa and i'm living here in the netherlands. If the laptop was purchased in an apple centre i might be lucky and i get it swapped.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It will almost certainly need to be returned to the US: your colleague formed a contract of sale with that legal entity, not Apple NL.

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You definitely need to get the MBP back to the US, thats the only way it will work. Then you need a receipt showing you ordered an i7, and a way of proving its the same machine. Might be tricky considering its obviously been atleast 2 weeks by the time you recieved it, and then realised, then sent it back,

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, that friend of yours needs to produce the receipt, pronto.

10. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

Sounds suspect. I would check your receipt cost against the i7 in-store costs to make sure you actually ordered the new one and not the old.

Is the box opened at all?

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yup.

Something kind of similar happened to me. I brought a 32 GB iPhone 3GS in for service a few months back and after an hour at the Genius Bar I finally got a replacement. I signed the papers and left the store. I was half way to my car when I turned the phone over and looked at the back. I realized there was no chrome lettering, it was dark like on the back of an iPhone 3G. I looked closer and it saw that it was an 8GB iPhone 3G :eek:.

I sprinted at about mach 3 back to the store, knocking over many women and children, and completely interrupted the Genius that had helped me who was with a new customer. I was probably out of the store for 3-4 minutes total and I had already thrown away the plastic wrapping off the 3G. He took care of me right away and told me he was glad I didn't get much farther.

He showed me the white box that he just pulled the 3G out of and it said 32GB 3GS on it, so I know it wasn't his fault. But I guess the point is mix ups do happen, but it's obviously best to get it taken care of ASAP.

I imagine the easiest way to resolve this is to match up your receipt, stating you bought a Core i7, with a credit card charge. If the amounts and dates match that should help.

How well do you know this colleague? Is it possible he took your money, bought you a C2D model, pocketed the rest of the money, and told you Apple screwed up?

12. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

This made me LOL - thanks :D

13. zlinuk macrumors member

THe receipt should also show the serial number of the machine (mine did).

14. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Not quite your same situation, but I bought a new MBP yesterday and the MDP->DVI adapter. Get home and they had given me a DVI->MDVI adapter. The packaging even said it was an MDP->DVI adapter.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense and is probably a better idea.

So if the receipt shows a serial number and that it is the Core i7 model yet your C2D MacBook Pro has the same serial number then I'd say you have a bulletproof case.

What does the receipt say? Do the serial numbers match?

16. Trexznl macrumors member

You'll probably be SOL.

Apple NL is a PITA. I wish every country had the same Apple service as the US. (which seems to be far better).

Unless you purchase a plane ticket to the US, which would be a quite expensive trip, however you've already plunked plenty of money on the machine..

Lesson learnt today: just buy a machine from the local Apple store. You pay more, the service is unworthy, but atleast you'll have the correct machine. :rolleyes: