Ordered an iPad online but I'm impatient

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cmcclure16, Jul 26, 2011.

1. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

So I just ordered a 64GB Wifi iPad online because I was approved for the Barclaycard with the 6 months no interest. However I am extremely impatient and do not want to have to wait 8-10 days for it to arrive. I was thinking about just going to a retail store and buying one and charging it to my regular credit card and then when the one from the online store arrives I will just return that one to the retail store in place of the one I actually bought. That way I have an iPad now, but still on the no interest deal.

Would that be possible, or will they know which iPad is which?

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple Stores have the serial number on the receipt.

3. ronaldmcdonald macrumors member

Well since apple keeps track of serial numbers... what you can do is buy one at the store now, use it for 1 week. Before you return it, sync it and save all its data, then restore the settings onto the new iPad that you ordered online.

4. cmcclure16 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok so then if I just return the used one will I be charged any sort of restocking fee?

5. Contiguous macrumors member

You shouldn't have to pay a restocking fee if it's from an Apple store. Not sure if this applies to resellers, though. You could always call them up and ask what their policy is as it varies from store to store and country to country.

Anyways, how instant does your gratification have to be that you can't wait 8-10 days? Look, I'm only 27, that's too early to start moaning about 'kids these days' and 'what the world is coming to'.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You could just wait.

It probably won't kill you.

By the way - I do understand being impatient. I'm the definition of impatient at times. However, you're going to leave the store with a used iPad that they will need to refurbish and sell at a discount just so you can have a toy 1 week early.

7. deeddawg macrumors 603

Agreed. A few more days seriously shouldn't be a big deal for anyone mature enough to qualify for the financing deal.

AFAIK, all stores track the ipad serial number on the receipt; my guess is the main reason is to try to prevent people from returning a 16GB Wifi model in a 64GB 3G box. (the thief then keeps the 64GB 3G model having only paid for the 16GB wifi)

Although it's perfectly legal and your privilege to buy one now from an Apple store and return it when the online order arrives, most people would look down on this abuse of Apple's generous return policy. It creates a real cost to Apple (they can't sell the used one as new and must put it into the refurb process where it can then be used for warranty replacement or sold as a refurb at a discount) that creates an indirect effect on everyone else.

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Why do I have a feeling that Barclay's is going to be collecting a lot of interest from the OP once the six months is over?

9. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Good luck even getting them in store. My Apple Store still can't keep them in stock.

10. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

If you get one that you plan to return be sure not to drop are damage it ;)

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

You're impatient now... wait a year when you will be very patient with it.

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Just go to the store and play with one, or browse the app store and make a lists of apps you want to buy when your iPad arrives. Choosing a case will take several days, plenty of ways to pass the time until your iPad comes.

Anticipation is a big part of the fun of getting a new toy.

13. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Let the OP buy one at the retail store and return the one he ordered online; that way he opens a new line of credit for NO REASON. And quite honestly if you needed to open a barclay card to buy an iPad, you may want to think twice if you really need to buy one.

14. walie macrumors 6502a

if you're as impatient as you say you are, you shouldn't have purchased it online in the first place