Ordered an SSD for my 13" 2010 MBP, questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 21, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Got the Intel X25-M 80GB from Newegg (on sale right now $195 shipped).

Got this $20 Optibay alternative
    http://ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=17773&cat=0&page=1

and a $13 optical SATA to USB enclosure
    http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=17499&cat=0&page=1

Should I put the SSD in the HDD spot or the Optibay? Also, what's the best software to clone my HDD? I want to take most of the apps and OS X installation from what I have now, but obviously I don't want to copy movies and mp3s (I'll keep that for the HDD). Thanks guys.

EXCITED! finally bit the bullet after so much debating and rationalization. Before this 13" MBP, I had the antiglare i7 15" that cost me $2300 so I figure I'm still in the clear when purchasing this SSD.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't need any app to copy your stuff, just install OS X from the disk and then drag the apps folder to the SSD. With cloning software it's either all or nothing.

Then, to make the HD free, move the files you need like music to SSD or other HD (depending on how much you have) and then wipe the HD with DIsk Utility and restore the stuff from the other HD

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

If i ever need warranty, i need to put the SuperDrive back in place and the original HDD in the HDD spot instead of SSD right?

So I can't wipe the HDD clean because then it won't have OS X on it in case I need to use it as the only drive in the system when sending it off for repair.

Help? Thanks.

and dragging apps folder from HDD to SSD will correctly transfer it over? What about Application Support and all the other stuff that some programs need?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes

You don't need OS X if you send it to repair, they'll reinstall it if needed.

Some apps like Creative Suite (Photoshop etc) needs those but most apps work fine without. I would reinstall big apps anyway. Just did this yesterday for another member via TeamViewer and other apps work fine, just CS4 had to be reinstalled

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Cool so SSD in Optibay or original HD spot? I've been told mixed advice.

6. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

SSD in Optibay, HDD in default slot since Optibay doesn't have vibration dampeners. And careful when you take out the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Airport module plugs. Use a wooden chopstick or polymer prying tool. No metal. Good luck !

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Do i have to take out all those plugs? I thought it was only the subwoofer bar or something right near the optical drive (close to the vents).

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

I bet you are! I have an SSD in my macbook air and it makes everything soo much faster when loading, even more so than my imac with 4gb ram! [​IMG]

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Not sure on a 13" but it should be so. Here's a very resourceful thread on the topic.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Should I install OS X fresh on SSD or just transfer everything (except home folder with all the movies and GB-hog media) using Carbon Copy Cloner as suggested on Lifehacker? This might be the easiest root.

Can anyone else confirm this?

11. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I suggest install everything fresh. Its like starting to live a new life and having the chance to organize all your data.

12. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

SSD as boot drive if you want to really get speed.

13. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

14. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to the Optibay, have a look at the newmodeUS caddy. Optibays are SERIOUSLY overpriced.

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

yes i read about it on macrumors in the cheap optibay alternative thread (deeply buried in there, page 13 or so I think -- can't fully remember what the page # is but its something around there)

16. juandixon109 macrumors member

this is what i did for my i7 15 mpb.....

1) remove original HDD and put in SDD.

2) installed Mac OSX via supplied cd onto the SDD

3) removed SSD and PUT BACK original HDD

4) removed superdrive put in optibay with SSD inside of it

5) made sure SSD was the boot drive easily done via OSX.

6) reformatted HDD via OSX

7) moved my home directory via OSX to HDD, u want ur apps and OS to be on the SSD or there is no point to have an SSD.

17. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

This is what I did:

1. plug SSD into external dock connected to USB
    2. Run SuperDuper and clone stock HDD to SSD over SSD
    3. Shut down, swap drives
    4. Boot, done.

now if I ever need to go for service, I have the stock HDD and I can clone it back beforehand.