Ordered but not charged

citivolus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I got my confirmation email but haven't seen any charge yet go through. Used Apple Pay and for some reason the confirmation email says a virtual card number was charged instead of my physical card. Anyone else have a similar situation? Hope my order isn't screwed up.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
This is how is supposed to work. However, I used Apple Pay and I was already charged which I typically never got charged until it ships.

citivolus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Ok I think I may be misunderstanding something. The order details say "Device Number" and not virtual credit card number. I think that must be some kind of number associated with the iPhone on which the Apple Pay was set up.

So many people are reporting being charged already--anyone ordered but not charged yet?

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Ah, Device Number is a unique number that is assigned in your iPhone Wallet. This number is used instead of the number from the Credit / Debit card. Yes, this number is tied to your iPhone.

If you open your Wallet and Tap your card of choice and then in the lower right of the screen there will be a little "Information" circle. Tap this and scroll down to see your masked Credit card number and right below it, you will see the masked Device Account Number. The last 4 digits should match the "Device Number" on the order details.

Dave

bluechipBMW

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok I think I may be misunderstanding something. The order details say "Device Number" and not virtual credit card number. I think that must be some kind of number associated with the iPhone on which the Apple Pay was set up.

So many people are reporting being charged already--anyone ordered but not charged yet?
I also noticed I was not charged. I did use Apple Pay and I plan on picking up at the store since delivery was no longer available for the 3rd. I’m hoping my order is stil going to be processed. I may call Apple to be on the safe side or at least get an understanding on when I can expect to be charged.

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
My CC used with pre approval was charged tax for my X but it might be different since I am on IUP.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I was charged for my official Apple case but not the iPhone X itself. I'm assuming this is normal since it says I will get the case on Nov 1st.

bizzy045

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
I was charged for a separate case order but not the tax for my phone which was purchased using att next.

citivolus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Happy to report that I have been charged! The orders look like they are going through as they are preparing for shipment. Never been so happy to give up my money :)

Packers1958

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
When I bought my iMac earlier this year, I used Apple Pay and I thought everything was fine. However, a few days later, my CC thought it was fraud and denied the charge. So much for Apple Pay working correctly. Since then I just use my debit card for larger purchases.

bradley8795

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
I used Apple Pay, with in store pick up. They did a $0.00 authorization on both orders. I am just hoping that they do the actual charge when I get in store just in case my CC decides to block it for possible fraud.

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
My preorders from Apple didn't show a preauthorization for hours, and the statues were updating slowly. They're still projected for delivery on 11/3 though.