ordered: FEISOL CT-3441S with CB-40D Ball Head, Center Column and Tripod Bag

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mtbdudex, May 21, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

2. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

3. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Looks like a great deal - I looked at these when I bought my rig. I liked the latches that Bogen uses to lock the legs as opposed to the screws, but to each his own.

4. HomeyC macrumors newbie

I have the ct-3441t with a photo clam head. It's nice set up

5. Binford macrumors member

Congrats! I used feisol before moving on to teh gitzo. greatproduct, best for the money i would say!

6. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My FEISOL CT-3441S tripod with CB-40D Ball Head came today!!
    Initial impressions:
    -holy crap is this set-up light (I'll weigh it later)
    -wow, amazed at how robust/rigid it is
    -love the soft leg grips
    -Quick/easy set-up, I like the clean look of not having flip levers, these simple twist/lock so quickly/easily.
    I was kinda on the fencepost of not buying this because did not have flip locks, glad I did not let that stop me.

Pictures! (of course)
    Sturdy box for shipping, tools and (1) extra plate included, as well as hook for hanging weights.
    [​IMG]

Need I say more on this? Carbon fiber!!
    [​IMG]

Tripod at no extension, 1st center tube extended, inside center tube extended.
    Of course I'll never shoot with the inside center tube extended up, heck I'm 5'9" and need only 2-3" with the large center tube extended for eye level.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, flip that center tube 180 degrees and see how cool this is!
    Get low to the ground, multiple locking positions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

CB-40D ballhead
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quick release plate removed/details. Double sided detent capable plate, nice.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I tried to show how robust this is to flexure/twist, very rigid tripod yet easy to open/use.
    [​IMG]

7. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

FEISOL CT-3441S with CB-40D Ball Head Weight: 3.5 lbs ;very very light!

I ordered this remote from POTN store, got it 3 months ago.
    Pretty simple/easy to set-up and use, works nice.
    Set on continuous shot, camera kept shooting and shooting....gives me lots of shots to delete....
    [​IMG]

8. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

Is that some sort of level you have attached to the hotshoe?

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Yes. I have one of those, too. The level, that is...:eek:

Dale

10. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I use that level when I shoot outdoors on tripod landscape shots, astronomy shots, etc. Helps get me level, just one less thing to do in PP.

In retrospect, I've seen ball head/plates with various levels in them as well, so next time I'm buying ball heads that is on my wish list, integrated levels.

11. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My Markins ball head has a built-in bubble level, but it's not very useful. It's located on the top, where it gets obscured once a camera is mounted on it. I prefer to get my composition set while looking through the camera, and I make leveling adjustments afterwards. So I never use that bubble level. The very best level I have is the one in my 7D (a digital level displayed on its LCD), but unfortunately, that is my hand-holding camera. Alas, my tripod camera (a 5D2) does not have that nifty feature. So I basically do most of my leveling by eyeballing the grid overlay in Live View. :::sigh:::

Your Feisol tripod looks very functional. I considered that model or something like it from Feisol when I was in the market about six months ago. I ultimately went with a Gitzo, but it was a recently discontinued model, and I think I found out the hard way why they discontinued it (the leg sections rotate a bit when they're not supposed to, making the G-locks stick). So don't believe what people say about Gitzo being so great. They make mistakes too.

12. H2Ockey macrumors regular

I'd love to hear some feed back on the ball head after you use it for a bit. I have a fiesol monopod and will likely be purchasing a tripod from them soon. I've read nothing but good things about their tripods and my own experience with the monopod is positive, but feedback on the ball heads and other items have been somewhat contradictory.

-S

13. d4dawg macrumors newbie

I also got the Feisol CT-3441S with the Anti-Rotation Legs on a recent trip to Taiwan. Ironically, it wasn't easy to find in Taiwan, despite Feisol being a Taiwanese company. I think they are more focused on the export business. Their local website sucks compared to the US version.

Anyway, I am very happy with the tripod. Quality is top notch. Don't laugh but I got the girly Rose Red version. :p Looks different from the sea of black tripods out there. My wife thinks the red matches perfectly with the PhotoClam ball head, which is also red accented. I think I would need some lenses to go with it too (you know the ones with a red ring on it). :p

Attached Files:

14. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Looks like a very nice tripod, being able to go low like that looks really useful!
    Thanks for sharing.

I'm after a tripod after my old one was partly consumed by the sea...it's a big investment to make especially when you know it's going to rust to pieces in the end, it'd have to have long single-piece legs (so the joints aren't destroyed :eek:).
    (anyone have any pointers?)

Speaking of bubble heads, my old one had a conveniently placed, accurate bubble, the only problem was the head attachment above it was lop sided! :rolleyes: