Ordered for in store pickup, entered wrong email.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Sep 9, 2016.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Someone out there got my order confirmation email from Apple. I entered my email but mistyped one letter when ordering. I know this because I can see the typo on my order status at apple.com.

The confirmation email contains the order number, my name and my home address.

To pick up in store, apparently all you need is the order number and a photo ID. Living in NYC, I'm a little nervous that whoever got my confirmation email might try to help themselves to my phone or be a jerk and try to cancel the order or who knows what else.

Anyone have any reassuring advice?

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I would try sending them an email and explain the problem asking them to forward the confirm email to you. If your email kicks it back then no one got it. Other than that try contacting apple and see what they can do on their end. I don't think you're going to have a problem though.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I suppose it depends what your email address is and whether it's likely that anybody has already made an email with that name...

How about we go about this a slightly different way? Try create a new email address with that typo email! If it creates, then you definitely don't need to worry. If it says the email address has already been allocated, then possibly call Apple and explain the situation. :)

4. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

It's a 4 letter email address ending in "**ny"@me.com. I mistyped one letter but not "ny". It's pretty common to add your initials to the initials of your city or state and use it for your email address, especially in NY. The odds of it being an active address seem pretty good to me. The odds of it belonging to someone who lives at least in NY state, if not NYC, also seem good.

I considered sending this person an email, but then they would have my actual email address AND my name and address. This would make me even more nervous, especially if it didn't bounce but they didn't reply.

The thing is, what can Apple even do if this person actually exists, got the email, and wants to get a fake photo ID with my name in it?

5. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I wouldn't worry too much about the email going to someone else. Once the order goes to processing, you can change the email address associated with the order. For some reason when ordering through the iOS app, my email was set to me@facebook.com - didn't notice until after I submitted it and never got a confirmation email as a result. My order just went to processing on the apple website and I was able to edit the email.

If you want to try to send an email to it - just create a new email account and send a test email to it to see if there's a bounceback