Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
only problem with macmall is if you have a problem with the machine or buyer's remorse, you can't return the machine bc they don't accept returns on apple which is total BS

GodlessGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
They told me when I purchased that if I received a defective unit that I could get an exchange for a new unit from them for 14 days. I'm not sure about a straight return though.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I just placed an order with MacMall. Do they pre-install any crapware on the machine or do they ship it the same way it comes from Apple? Should I do a clean install of Snow Leopard or am I good to go once I get it? Thanks.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
I just placed an order with MacMall. Do they pre-install any crapware on the machine or do they ship it the same way it comes from Apple? Should I do a clean install of Snow Leopard or am I good to go once I get it? Thanks.

what you get from macmall is what you get from apple.

apple ships the box to the macmall warehouse. macmall ships it to you without opening the box

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
what you get from macmall is what you get from apple.

apple ships the box to the macmall warehouse. macmall ships it to you without opening the box

Interesting. I also did the free (after rebates) Parallels offer and he said that they would pre-install it for me on the computer. I told him not to which he said wasn't a problem. That was what made me wonder about it. Thanks.

Tochill

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Interesting. I also did the free (after rebates) Parallels offer and he said that they would pre-install it for me on the computer. I told him not to which he said wasn't a problem. That was what made me wonder about it. Thanks.

I ordered my ultimate mac air today and sprung for parallels. 2 questions for you. 1) Did they send you an actual box with the Key. 2) Can i download the demo online and use the provided Key on the box? The Mac air doesn't have a CD drive so using the included cd drive would be problematic.

boomboom316

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Washington, DC
I ordered my ultimate mac air today and sprung for parallels. 2 questions for you. 1) Did they send you an actual box with the Key. 2) Can i download the demo online and use the provided Key on the box? The Mac air doesn't have a CD drive so using the included cd drive would be problematic.

I got the box with the license key. Haven't installed it yet though as I'm too busy learning and loving OSX.

As far as issues with Macmall - they don't have a good visibility on current stock levels. That said, the sales rep I bought my MBA 13" from said he might have one and the next day I had it waiting on my front door.:D

VespaMatt

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
Can i download the demo online and use the provided Key on the box? The Mac air doesn't have a CD drive so using the included cd drive would be problematic.

Yup, I never even removed the provided CD from the sleeve - just used the CD key with the version you download off their site.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I am only ordering from macmall because it is cheaper. I could order from apple, but macmall was like 180 dollars cheaper because they weren't charging taxes and etc. And apple wouldn't price match.

So, I pulled the trigger with macmall.
You'll be very happy.

I've had very good service from them, with fast shipping times and accurate orders.

In addition, I've used Apples Online Store a lot and they too, do a fantastic job.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I haven't received mine yet but I ordered it today and they confirmed they had it available and I do see FedEx saying it will be delivered tomorrow.

My opinion of MacMall took a big hit a little bit ago. When I placed the order the sales guy asked if I wanted AppleCare. I explained I didn't since I can wait up to a year for the purchase of it and I will decide before the end of the first year. He said that was fine.

I then called back and spoke to a different sales guy to see if they had a tracking number yet. He gave it to me and said that he sees I didn't buy AppleCare. I told him the same thing as I told the first guy about waiting until the end of the first year. He told me that the standard Apple warranty will only cover the RAM and Processor since those are more prone to failure and AppleCare will cover the entire computer for three years. I told him that he was completely wrong and that the 1 year standard warranty is identical to what Apple will cover (didn't mention the phone support) and AppleCare will just extend it. He continued to try and tell me that standard will only cover Ram and processor and that I should buy AppleCare. I said whatever and I didn't want it now. He said OK but I should really get it and if I change my mind make sure to call his extension and he will get it for me.

So this guy is spouting complete misinformation to try and sell what is obviously a high commission item for him. Very poor performance by this sales guy. Thankfully he didn't get any commission off of me as he didn't take the computer order. Hopefully I won't have any other issues with MacMall.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
of all the machines ive purchased, ive always purchased from the store or online store, utilizing some form of discount or another. I was told buying anywhere aside from apple or a store with an apple account (i.e. Bestbuy) voids any type of official warranty.

Aside from that, even if i did have an option of ordering somewhere else and keeping the same warranty, i wouldnt sacrifice the customer service and piece of mind i have from knowing i have never had any problems ordering directly from apple to save a few dollars. But thats just my opinion and you can go about ordering however youd like.

/resume discussion.

wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.