Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bl11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2017
So, placed an order for an 27" iMac and it should arrive monday, so need some advice.

1. I tend to use headphones on- and off. I know it will be annoying to plug in/out on the backside, so any good solution to this?

2. I'm looking to buy Ram. As far as i understand this will work well?
Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB SODIMM 2400MHz (260 pin, non-buffed, CL16)

(there is also crucial whos marketed as "mac compatible" if that's a better option?)

Last edited:

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
So, placed an order for an 27" iMac and it should arrive monday, so need some advice.

1. I tend to use headphones on- and off. I know it will be annoying to plug in/out on the backside, so any good solution to this?

2. I'm looking to buy Ram. As far as i understand this will work well?
Corsair Vengeance Performance 16GB SODIMM 2400MHz (260 pin, non-buffed, CL16)

(there is also crucial whos marketed as "mac compatible" if that's a better option?)
If you're updating with aftermarket RAM, make sure it's mac compatible. Not all hardware works with a mac out of the gate.

As far as headphones go, there are some solutions that attach a dock to the bottom of the iMac, allowing for you to get front-facing ports. Those block some air vents and interfere with the cooling of your machine to some degree, so if you're using your machine in any intense situation (gaming, heavy processing) you wont want to try that. Other than just 'dealing with it' though, you could always go wireless. I found the freedom from the cable quite liberating, you might want to try it too.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
For headphones you can get a simple audio interface to bypass the inconvenience of plugging on the back everytime.

jday7757

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2012
Another headphones option is to use a set of headphones for your Imac only so you can leave them plugged in.

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Something as simple as this gives you another sound-way out from usb: https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Converter-Adapter-Desktops/dp/B06XP5R449
I don't know if plugging a simpler audio cable (male jack-female plug) would do, but it's the very logical way to put audio jack in another place!: https://www.amazon.com/KINPS-Audio-Extension-Cable/dp/B0B1HJ23M3
The memory you name is perfectly compatible.
When Crucial offers you specially Mac compatible modules (same piece number with an M at the end) it's because they fulfill Apple's Environment Policy due to materials involved in its making. Nothing important related to its functioning.

bl11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2017
For headphones you can get a simple audio interface to bypass the inconvenience of plugging on the back everytime.

Will look into that! If i connect a audio interface and remove the headphones, will it switch back to the built in speakers?
[doublepost=1516050232][/doublepost]
If you're updating with aftermarket RAM, make sure it's mac compatible. Not all hardware works with a mac out of the gate.

As far as headphones go, there are some solutions that attach a dock to the bottom of the iMac, allowing for you to get front-facing ports. Those block some air vents and interfere with the cooling of your machine to some degree, so if you're using your machine in any intense situation (gaming, heavy processing) you wont want to try that. Other than just 'dealing with it' though, you could always go wireless. I found the freedom from the cable quite liberating, you might want to try it too.

Unfortually all headphones i own are wired, so while BT would be convenient, i'm afraid thats not an option.

I actually found a great deal for crucial's official MAC ram, so i ordered 16gb of that. I'm a fairly light user, so 24gb should be well above of what i need.

Not really looking to make any solution that covers the vents, someone suggested an audio interface, so i might look into that if it works as i hope.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Will look into that! If i connect a audio interface and remove the headphones, will it switch back to the built in speakers?
You must choose the Built in speakers manually in the sound settings, which you can place in the menubar for easier access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.