Ordered iPhone 3GS in white :-)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by melissa23, Nov 10, 2009.

1. melissa23 macrumors member

Earlier this evening I ordered a 3GS in white! I'm excited, as I currently have a 1st gen iPhone with an antenna cover nearly hanging off, and a fake ebay case which fits a bit wonkily in the sim card area. I'm looking forward to a phone which keeps the signal as no-one has fiddled with it! I think after 2 years I deserve a nice shiny new one!

I have been drooling over photos of the white one- I think it reminds me of the iBook case, and that's what I wanted when I first learnt about Macs.

Excitement! Looking forward to the maps as well, I used mine the other day and it told me I was 13 miles away from the town I was actually in!!

2. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your purchase! I have a white 16GB 3GS and it's terrific, couldn't ask for anything more. Nothing has gone wrong with it and it's a great little gadget. Enjoy your new 3GS, and remember that you can always come here if you have any problems!

3. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Awesome, congratulations on purchasing a phone that Apple will deem obsolete and fossil-like in 6 months when they unveil the iPhone 4G.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Was that necessary? :rolleyes:

5. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

6. melissa23 thread starter macrumors member

Aww, thankyou, well I -could- wait for the 4G but then I might as well wait for the 5G..ad infinitum. Products always get upgraded and updated, you buy the best you can afford at the time! The 3GS came out here in June, now it's November (just!)- it's not exactly old!

To the posters with manners- thankyou! Justin, I'm a little worried about the cracks/scratches I've been reading about but not much point worrying about things that haven't happened! Looking forward to battery life of more than a day (my 1G is 2 this month!).

I have lurked here for a very long time but never seem to post. Got my MBP DVD working after some jiggery-pokery involving glue and a metal washer (it's 2, no warranty)- pretty pleased as the repair people I paid said it needed the logic board replacing.

7. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Congrats on your purchase! I am getting one in February :) I also have a 2g right now, it is in good condition, a few scratches, and it has a tiny crack at the bottom of the screen, but it still works good. I don't want to wait until the 4g either.. mainly because there are rumors of the screen being smaller, and I love the current screen size. Smaller, I believe, would take too much away from the phone.

:)

8. zoomin6 macrumors member

Congrats on the purchase!! I'm going to be getting a 3Gs (black 16GB) this weekend at Best Buy for retail price...so when next summer comes by, I can just upgrade my phone and get the 'rumored' 4G with a new 2 year contract price and just sell my 3Gs to make up for some funds :)

I like the white, but I've always liked black for technology and toys...black cars, motorcycles, phones, xbox 360(elite), ps3 slim(black), even my black bedroom set lol! My Macbook isn't black, but I still love it hahaha

I'll check out the white one though, as it seems like it'll be nice to have it in white ;)

walter..

9. 55test55 macrumors 6502

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Congrats on the new toy! I bought my white 3GS on launch day and absolutely adore it; the love hasn't diminished at all. :)

11. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Congrats Melissa. Good choice. I bought the same phone you ordered, after having had a 3G Black and im really glad I went to a white. I dont like protective cases. The phones are so beautiful and the plastic is so smooth. That is my favorite gadget of all time.

12. MacManiac87 macrumors newbie

Wanna sell your old 2G?

13. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Congrats man. I have a white 16GB since day1 and i'm still in love with it.

14. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

True. But it is about half-way through its typical iPhone life cycle. But cool, enjoy your phone! :)

15. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Conratulations OP! Same as my 3GS. White too. Is yours a 16GB or 32GB model? BTW, ignore xciteme. He trolls the forums very often, just to let you know. ;)

16. melissa23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys :)

The 3GS I'm getting is the 16Gb model as it's all I could afford. I think it'll do fine for me. I have a silver MBP so neither white or black would go with it. There's just something about the white one that is different to everything else out there. I think it should arrive tomorrow!

17. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

I love the white one!

I suggest buying a Best Skins Ever skin for it. They are fantastic. (I blogged about this one time, actually.. sorry for self-promotion)

They keep your phone scratch free and are minimalistic. The only problems I have with them are that they start to peel back due to dust after about 6 months of use and they also make your phone a little bit off-white and yellowish.

18. melissa23 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I've had a few enquiries about selling my iPhone, so I just wanted to make a few things clear.

The phone has the issues I mentioned above, plus the battery holds charge for about a day- it needs replacing.

I am in England if that makes any difference- just thought I'd make that clear.

Melissa.

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Congratulations also. With two year contracts you will inevitably be behind
    the current technology for at least a year, in essence owning every other upgrade of the iphone.

So if she waited for the 4G, then a year or so into her contract she would
    miss out on the brand new 5G. As it is, you will still be stuck with the 4G when she gets the new 5G.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Except you will ALWAYS be able to sell your iPhone for what a new, non-subsidized, iPhone costs. You can always have the current generation that way.

21. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Not always, but so long as demand lasts.

Ahh, economics and the free market. :D

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There is always a demand for iPhones not tied to a contract, and historically the prices have at least matched what the non-subsidized phones cost people who have AT&T contracts**.

** I only know about the US.

23. melissa23 thread starter macrumors member

'She'?

An 18-month contract would still leave me behind. I can't afford PAYG. So I took a 2 year contract, having been happy with my original iPhone for 2 years.

I didn't realise that buying a (just) 5 month old product was a subject for derision!

Clete2, thanks for the skin advice. When I got my last phone I tried screen protectors but they kept peeling off. Then I put it in my pocket with my keys and the screen got a scratch on :-(

24. aluren macrumors 65816

It's hard to find a female that makes sense! But I agree with you 100%! Congrats on the purchase. 7 months is a long time to wait.

25. melissa23 thread starter macrumors member

It's not that hard- I know lots of females who would say the same thing.

They say everything is obsolete in the computer world the minute it hits the shops- if you wait forever for something better you'll never be happy with what you've got.

A few people on this site seem like they would only be happy if you bought a new product on launch day, then traded it the minute a new version came out. That's fine, but I don't think those who can't afford this, or don't do it for other reasons should be made fun of. You may question my sanity if I had just signed a contract for a 1G iPhone, but the fact is I bought a current product- you'd think a Mac fan site would have a few more fans, but then again everyone is free to express their opinion on the internet.

It should arrive tomorrow, if not by Friday, so I'm looking forward to it!