Ordered Macbook M3 from BestBuy open-box-certified !!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by vivek28, Jan 22, 2017.

1. vivek28 macrumors member

I ordered macbook retina 12 inches with m3 processor in bestbuy Sale. I opted for Open-box-Certified(geek-squad approved)deal.. costed me 919 dollars It will get me by 30th Jan.

Although i have read on forums that open box deals are not excellent everytime due to warranty issues and machine being older..

How are your experiences with those deals? Some say warranty can be resetted with a call to Applecare and some didnt get a good machine!

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

def check with apple about applecare. you got a reasonable deal, i mean... i have a client who just bought the same MB in-store (2016 model) for $999 boxed.

3. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

Hello, It got delivered today and has 5 charge cycle count. Seems like a good machine if not brand new :)

They didnt deliver it in original box though. It says warranty is valid till September 2017.

Can the warranty be reset.. Should I call Apple for that ?

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

definitely, call apple... and see if you can add applecare as well.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

They won't reset the warranty. The original purchase was made in September of 2016 which means you will need to add Apple Care before September of 2017. One small downside of purchasing open box MacBooks.

6. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

As a matter of fact.. they did reinstate the warranty !

7. FilmIndustryGuy macrumors member

Actually I did the same thing buying open box. I called apple and told them the AppleCare is incorrect. I didnt mention open box sale. They said email receipt and i said sure i have it ready stay with me on the phone. She stayed on phone and told me that this doesn't apply to open box but she sees receipt says open box but since she already told me she will make the adjustment, she will change the date. SO just don't tell apple its open box. Let them say they will adjust it first and then act like you didn't know any better.

I also found another trick with apple when on the phone but I don't want to mention it on here since it will get abused like a mother fu**a and I don't want apple to change their ways of handling cases just cause everyone is abusing their kind policy.

8. vivek28 thread starter macrumors member

I tried two times calling them.. the first one didnt approve it and second one took me through 3 different persons and their manager changed the date after validating the receipt.. apple support is great indeed !

Although i think i will send it back.. space gray color is boring.. silver looks best on macbook

9. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Good for you. They told me to take a hike. Cool.

The M5/512/2016 I bought has 3 charge cycles on it. It's brand new. Whatever.

Attached Files:

• nope.png
      nope.png
      File size:
      215.9 KB
      Views:
  10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Apple policy is to not reset the purchase date. Some have success trying, but most people get the result you got. I wouldn't worry about it either way. You saved $ and still have the option to purchase Apple Care if you want.

11. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

I'm not complaining. Paid $900 for a $1,599 machine, so I'm good lol.