Ordered MBP, would this be overkill??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewp, Jul 30, 2007.

1. matthewp macrumors member

I ordered a MPB (base model), I live in South Africa andunfortunately they can't give me a date that i'll receive it (struggling here!) :)

Anyway I'm not doing anything CPU intensive on this computer, so i'm wondering if the extra 700$ is worth it.

I really like the fact that its SR, has LED backlit screen and that it has a lightup keyboard but i'm wondering if it'd just be a better idea getting the 2.16Ghz MacBook?

2. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

it would help allot if you told us what you will be using the computer for, :rolleyes:

3. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Better to have a little over-kill than wanting to do something and not having enough power! My vote is to keep with the MBP unless the extra $700 is really stretching you.

4. matthewp thread starter macrumors member

well I'd mainly be using it for word, web browsing, photoshop. Might get into final cut pro in the future and also might play games on it in the future.

The money is quite a stretch but i'd hate to "save now" and end up kicking myself cos of the GMA 950 or whatever...

5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I think you're better off with the MBP. Better to have too much than not enough.

6. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Photoshop, Final Cut pro, and of Course Games, are SOOOO much better on the MBP (Well, I have heard... lol)
    So yeah, the MBP is a good choice

7. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Well, my general rule of thumb for buying computers is to steer clear from integrated graphics at all costs.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Stay with the MBP. I have a Macbook which is going up for sale after 8 months because I want a bigger display and the GMA950 is too slow for some uses.

Cheers,

9. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

GMA = Not Good Enough

From what I've seen, even the games which claim to support GMA 950 don't work properly on it. Take C&C3 (I want it sooo much). It doesn't really run on GMA 950 so steer clear at all costs. :)

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1EJ Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

If you are planning on using Final Cut Pro, the MBP is the only option. Some of the applications in Final Cut Studio do not work (or at least are unsupported) on the Macbook.