Ordered MBP, would this be overkill??

matthewp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I ordered a MPB (base model), I live in South Africa andunfortunately they can't give me a date that i'll receive it (struggling here!) :)

Anyway I'm not doing anything CPU intensive on this computer, so i'm wondering if the extra 700$ is worth it.

I really like the fact that its SR, has LED backlit screen and that it has a lightup keyboard but i'm wondering if it'd just be a better idea getting the 2.16Ghz MacBook?

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I ordered a MPB (base model), I live in South Africa andunfortunately they can't give me a date that i'll receive it (struggling here!) :)

Anyway I'm not doing anything CPU intensive on this computer, so i'm wondering if the extra 700$ is worth it.

I really like the fact that its SR, has LED backlit screen and that it has a lightup keyboard but i'm wondering if it'd just be a better idea getting the 2.16Ghz MacBook?
it would help allot if you told us what you will be using the computer for, :rolleyes:

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Better to have a little over-kill than wanting to do something and not having enough power! My vote is to keep with the MBP unless the extra $700 is really stretching you.

matthewp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
well I'd mainly be using it for word, web browsing, photoshop. Might get into final cut pro in the future and also might play games on it in the future.

The money is quite a stretch but i'd hate to "save now" and end up kicking myself cos of the GMA 950 or whatever...

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
well I'd mainly be using it for word, web browsing, photoshop. Might get into final cut pro in the future and also might play games on it in the future.

The money is quite a stretch but i'd hate to "save now" and end up kicking myself cos of the GMA 950 or whatever...
Photoshop, Final Cut pro, and of Course Games, are SOOOO much better on the MBP (Well, I have heard... lol)
So yeah, the MBP is a good choice

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Well, my general rule of thumb for buying computers is to steer clear from integrated graphics at all costs.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

Stay with the MBP. I have a Macbook which is going up for sale after 8 months because I want a bigger display and the GMA950 is too slow for some uses.

Cheers,

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
GMA = Not Good Enough

From what I've seen, even the games which claim to support GMA 950 don't work properly on it. Take C&C3 (I want it sooo much). It doesn't really run on GMA 950 so steer clear at all costs. :)

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1EJ Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

If you are planning on using Final Cut Pro, the MBP is the only option. Some of the applications in Final Cut Studio do not work (or at least are unsupported) on the Macbook.