Ordered My First Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joelk2, Nov 6, 2010.

1. joelk2 macrumors regular

Hello,

Ive been a long time reader but not really posted due to not actually having a mac. order my first one today.

a shiney new macbook.

look forward to posting more.

2. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Congratulations!
    Im sure you will love it, and if you need any help just ask! :)

3. joelk2 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks and i will do.

ive been wanting one for ages so have read alot about them and alot of threads on good programs etc.

4. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Nice :)

mac.appstorm.net is always a nice place to find new apps if your just browsing

What macbook did you purchase?

5. joelk2 thread starter macrumors regular

just the base model. i plan on upgrading the ram in the future but as apple charge alot i will do that myself.

6. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

7. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Upgrade the hard drive and ram!!!! Enjoy and have fun for the next several years. :D

4GB of ram and a 500GB hard drive. You'll be all set after that. Or, if the funds allow so, get one of those hyper fast SSD drives.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. joelk2 thread starter macrumors regular

actually while im new i have a question, it would be a rather simple process normally but there is an issue i dont know how to get around.

we currently have our pc hosting all our songs in one library of itunes, but everytime i add new tunes i either put them in "my playlist" or "wife's playlist" so despite having one library its easy to switch between the 2 (if that makes sense) we both want our music on our macbooks instead but as its a shared library it seems a bit of a pain to copy all the music and go through on each macbook deleting the offending music.

is there a way i can split the two easily?

10. happle macrumors 6502a

do you mean you want to put just your music on your macbook, and just your wifes music on hers?

if so, do you have an external hard drive to use so you can swap data. you could connect the hd to ur pc, go to your playlist, select all the songs in your playlist and then copy to the hard drive. then just load the songs to your macbook, delete them from the external hd, and do the same for your wifes.

not sure if thats exactly what your asking but i think it is.

11. joelk2 thread starter macrumors regular

Hello,

thanks.

i managed to do i in the end.

i changed the location of the library in preferences and hen when to her playlist and consolodated that. it then copied it to the new location.

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm also planning to upgrade the ram to 4GB and the hard drive to 500GB. Is it hard to install doing it yourself?

13. joelk2 thread starter macrumors regular

ive not done it myself yet but i know there are some videos on youtube showing the steps.

the hdd i can imagine be slightly more hassle as you would need to re-install OS but ram is jus the case of aking out old and sicking in new.

14. fatfreddy macrumors newbie

Sorry to jump in on the thread...

Yeah slightly more hassle for the HDD, but it's a straight forward, and simple thing to do. Very worth it, best thing I've bought for my Macbook.

15. joelk2 thread starter macrumors regular

Hello Chaps.

This is my first post from my brand spanking new :apple: Macbook!
    :D

16. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Guys, Thanks for all the responses, I'm really hoping that I can use this laptop for the next 4+ years, that's the reason why I'm upgrading the RAM/HD. =)