Ordered my iMac... Now why is it sitting in Shanghai?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Race Johnson, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Race Johnson macrumors member

OK I took the plunge and bought a 24'' iMac with the 8800 gs option on sunday. I also added the 2-3 shipping due to scheduling and pure anticipation. My free iPod and printer got here in 2 days (from cali), but my iMac took 2 days to get prepared to ship. Now it's sitting in Shanghai going nowhere! its 12:30pm (thurs) in Shanghai right now... What's it doing sitting?!? If it could get to the US tonight / tomorrow I think I should have a chance of getting to Portland OR by friday. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Because the delivery you paid for is a measure of time starting once it's in motion with FedEx. Nothing to with time from when you ordered it.

3. Race Johnson thread starter macrumors member

ya, so it was in transit early this morning... so if it's 2-3 day shipping it should get here by friday? I hope:)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Friday is pushing it, but maybe. :) Exciting right? I had ordered a MacPro and it came about 3 days earlier than expected and I had forgotten all about it. I think I was just busy.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Should be.

But, could be 4 days or something like that.

The stated times vary by distance. So, while 2 to 3 days generally means 2 to 3 days, they do sometimes give an extra day or so for longer distances.

Where I am, 2nd day air means 3 days (that's the standard here).

So, coming from another country, it could mean 4 days or 5 days.

I always just go with the free shipping. You never know how long they'll take to get it shipped out. So, why pay for faster shipping if you still might wait a week or two before they ship it?

6. Race Johnson thread starter macrumors member

ya I probably should have gone with free shipping but o well. I just hope it reaches my local fed ex store so I could possibly go and pick it up from the warehouse before the weekend. Man this anticipation sucks!

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

8. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, I when I had a business with regular deliveries, I would frequently pick them up at the warehouse.

Reasons would include:

I was going to be out all day, and didn't want to miss the package. So, I'd call and have them hold it for me and tell them I'd pick it up when I was over that direction.

Or, I needed something before the driver would typically be in my area. So, if I could get it at noon then I could already have the item installed and in my customer's hands before the FedEx driver reached my business area around 5:00.

But, it works much better when you know the drivers personally. It's easier to make sure things don't slip by then. And, when you do enough business with them, sometimes they deliver to you earlier just because they know you so well.

You don't usually get the local office's direct line without knowing someone anyway. They usually route your calls through the national office, and who knows if it filters down to the local branch then.

9. Race Johnson thread starter macrumors member

yea... with UPS Ive done it plenty of times. Call the store and have them hold the package, then all you do is drive to the store sign for it and its yours:eek:. Pretty convenient:cool:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And the time it sits held up by the feds also doesn't count. :p

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yep, might have a WMD in it. Wouldn't surprise me since I've seen a few self destruct as soon as I pressed the power button :p

12. KernalROM macrumors newbie

Well,

Keep us updated on the status and when you get it in maybe you could post some pics of your new setup!!

Bryan

13. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Don't worry, once it gets moving, it won't stop, and you said that you are in Portland, OR? If so, you'll be fine, every Apple product that I have seen come from China stopped in OR at one point or another. My MacBook in November went, China -> Alaska -> Oregon -> Nevada -> Indiana (I think, it may have been Ohio) -> New York before it was trucked in to Boston from New York. At least you are on the West Coast, my MacBook took a grand tour of the 50 states.