Ordered my iMac - why the delay?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eladnova, Dec 29, 2013.

1. eladnova macrumors member

After months of sitting on the fence and researching various options, I've ordered my first BTO 27" iMac. Really excited. Fingers crossed it'll not suffer any yellow screen nastiness.

The only upgrades I did was
    - i7 CPU instead of i5
    - 780 GPU instead of 775

Anyone know why upgrading to an i7 CPU and the 780 GPU would cause a 2 week build time? Est shipping is not until 14th to 20th of Jan. :(

2. Bear macrumors G3

What country are you in? In the US, it looks like I'd get an estimated delivery date of the 11th to the 16th.

3. eladnova thread starter macrumors member

Ireland. I thought some of the iMacs were made here?

4. Bear macrumors G3

More like assembled than made. You could get one from Ireland or you could get one made in Asia.

5. IA64 macrumors 6502

You are really lucky to wait only 2 weeks. I got mine delivered after 9 weeks.

6. brightjc@me.com macrumors member

brightjc@me.com

iMac delivery

I also bought a new late 2013 iMac recently (I live in England and it did get shipped from Ireland), I ordered it on a weekend & it said shipped within 2 - 3 working days. It was actually shipped on the following Monday (the next working day) and it arrived on the Tuesday. Mine was built to order with ½TB solid state flash drive, 3.5ghz i7 processor, the top 4ghz graphic card and 8GB ram (I had already bought 4 8GB sticks from Amazon for about £200).

7. eladnova thread starter macrumors member

Hi brightjc
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully it'll be the same situ here although from the outset it's saying 2-3weeks.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Probably just a backlog of BTO machines. And it looks like the i7 CPU is out of stock.

FYI - if you want an i7 with the 780 - larger Apple stores may carry that model ;).

9. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Yup i got mine from Ireland and i live in Sweden..
    got i7 and 780m and its worth it.. And yes it took i while longer.
    Infact im gonna order the same one to my wife later.

Checking apple and it says 1-2 weeks delivery.

10. eladnova, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

eladnova thread starter macrumors member

Order status has changed this morning from Processing to Preparing for Dispatch . Not bad considering I placed the order on Sun night (2 days ago).

So it does seem as if the estimated delivery date gives them the largest possible window. Woohoo :D