Ordered My Macbook Pro 13" But Need Help And Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mackbookproboy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. mackbookproboy macrumors newbie

I currently own an iBook G4, and over time, it has gotten slower and slower, so I've treated myself to a 13" Macbook Pro. However, I want to transfer the old files from the iBook G4 to the Macbook Pro (via migration assistant using firewire). I haven't actually got the Pro yet (getting very excited though!), but I was slightly worried when I saw that the Pro had a firewire port with 800mp/s, but my iBook only has 400mp/s, my question is, are the ports different?

Thanks,
    Nat

2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Yes, the ports are different. You would need an adapter for the MBP.

I personally would not use Migration Assistant to move from a PowerPC machine to an Intel machine. While there are people who have had no issues with doing so, there are some who have experienced problems. (Do a Google search and you'll see what I mean) If you're just moving platform independent files over (music, documents, images, etc) that should be ok, but for anything else I would start from scratch. As inconvenient it may seem, you'll likely save yourself a lot of headache down the road.

3. mackbookproboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy reply! Yeah I would just be transferring my user account, and it's Home folder (all contents). Can you use ethernet to transfer files? Or should I just get an adapter?

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

5. mackbookproboy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

7. DaReaper macrumors member