Ordered my MBA and sold my rMBP, how do I migrate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SpitUK, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

Hi Guys, Just ordered a MBA 13", i7, 8Gb, 256Gb and sold my rMBP. I need to send the rMBP before the MBA arrives. How can I migrate everything without installing everything again? Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Take a Time Machine backup to an external hard drive.

3. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, didn't realise you could restore to a different model. Do I still use migration assistant or time machine to restore? Thanks.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

While setting up the new Mac, it will ask if you'd like to transfer data from a Time Machine backup, so just use that.

5. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

You sure can. Apple makes it so easy to move from machine to machine, upgrade OS or change drives. I haven't reinstalled anything in the six years I've been with Apple.

6. Bear macrumors G3

As Hellhammer said, when you boot the new Mac, it will ask if you want to copy your data from a Time Machine backup. Do that.

Do not try and boot into Recovery and do a full Time Machine restore from your old system's backup. It appears that the stock 10.8.4 won't run on the new Air.

7. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks guys, Sounds simple. I will be without a computer for a few days but at least I know I can get my stuff back on quickly.