Ordered my MBA and sold my rMBP, how do I migrate?

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Hi Guys, Just ordered a MBA 13", i7, 8Gb, 256Gb and sold my rMBP. I need to send the rMBP before the MBA arrives. How can I migrate everything without installing everything again? Thanks.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
OK, didn't realise you could restore to a different model. Do I still use migration assistant or time machine to restore? Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
OK, didn't realise you could restore to a different model. Do I still use migration assistant or time machine to restore? Thanks.
While setting up the new Mac, it will ask if you'd like to transfer data from a Time Machine backup, so just use that.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
You sure can. Apple makes it so easy to move from machine to machine, upgrade OS or change drives. I haven't reinstalled anything in the six years I've been with Apple.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
As Hellhammer said, when you boot the new Mac, it will ask if you want to copy your data from a Time Machine backup. Do that.

Do not try and boot into Recovery and do a full Time Machine restore from your old system's backup. It appears that the stock 10.8.4 won't run on the new Air.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
OK, thanks guys, Sounds simple. I will be without a computer for a few days but at least I know I can get my stuff back on quickly.