Ordered my MBP, hard drive help (not asking about if i can replace lol)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Higgs1, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

I ordered the 2.53ghz 13"MBP and got it with the stock 250gb hdd, I have a 320gb i'm going to slap in from my current MB, but was looking into the seagate momentus 7200rpm 500gb drive, currently going for ~$130.

My question is, with my 320, i'm currently sitting @ about 200 of the 300gb (after formatting) full. Should I wait for SSDs to come down, or pull the trigger on the 500gb drive? My drive I believe is only 5400rpm & I figure the 7200 will not only give me better speeds but more space obviouslly.

I just don't know when a SSD with that kinda capacity at a relatively cheap price will be available or if I should just do the 500 now & be happy?

Suggestions?

2. HunterMaximus macrumors member

What are you using your space for currently? If it's stuff like movies that you don't need super fast access speed for, or need to have with you all the time, then put them on an external HDD, and get an SSD for your internal drive with OS, apps, etc.

3. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda in your same boat except I am looking at the lower end stock model and looking for a 320GB HDD, I think I might get the WD Scorpio Black for like $80. I have been looking at the Momentous 7200.4 but the Black seems to be faster in day to day use (smaller read/writes), but I'm still a little up in the air.
    SSD prices are going to take awhile to fall so I wouldn't bother waiting for them, if I were in your shoes I would get a 500GB HDD.

4. Higgs1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Higgs1

thanks for both responses, the external is outta the question as i like to have all my data with me @ all times lol, don't wanna carry my ext. with my laptop, seems overkill

but yea looks like i'll pick up the momentus @ BB, just got a $50 giftcard too :) that'll bring the price down some

5. Pommy macrumors member

FYI there has been this nasty wave of talk about Seagate drives failing recently ... I don't have a citation but I remember reading about it (although I think it was for 3.5" drives).