Ordered My New Dell XPS 8700

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mripadmini, May 14, 2014.

1. mripadmini macrumors regular

I just ordered a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop Computer. I did look at all the offering from apple to get those specs on a imac or MacBook Pro it would be almost double what i am getting from Dell for 699.99+tax+ shipping& handling.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
    Windows 8.1
    8GB Memory
    1TB Hard Drive

I also ordered a Dell 24 Inch Monitor for 199.99.

my dad has similar specs on his desktop that 1 1/2 years old and runs win 7 and has 1gb more of ram.

Any Suggestions?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Suggestions? Do you mean you have buyer's remorse? ;)

No ac wifi; might want that. You've selected a monitor with the same resolution as the 21.5" iMac (refurb on sale for $1100, BTW, with an IPS screen, ac wifi, and a built-in camera (you can add one to your Dell for under $100 I'd guess)).

I'd send back the monitor and buy a Korean 27" IPS monitor; there are lots of good ones out there. Well worth the extra money IMHO. And I do like that the Dell has some bays, so you could add an SSD. That will speed things up even more than whatever the difference in processor speed is in real-world use for a day-to-day computer. It's easiest to start with one; once your boot drive starts filling it's harder to transition to an SSD, especially with Windows.

3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

No suggestions here. That's a good buy, especially at that price.

If you don't like Windows 8's UI, you can make it look like 7 via Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/

4. mripadmini, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014

mripadmini thread starter macrumors regular

no buyers remorse.

I agree with that 100%. Apple iMac 27 Inch w/ same specs is 1799.99+shipping& handling

5. ewils19 macrumors 6502

There are some pretty awesome XPS 8700s on the Dell Outlet for amazing prices! I'm going to buy a desktop later this year or early next and I'm waffling back and forth between buying an 8700 and building a hackintosh.

6. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Seems like a decent buy. It isn't the cheapest for what you got, but it will work fine. Comparing what you bought to an iMac or a MBP is a little bit silly, considering you just got a tower, not an all-in-one. What you got is more comparable to a mac mini. You can pick up an Ivybridge mini with the same specs for about 500$. If it works for you that is all that should matter. Enjoy your computer :).

Best,
    Matt

7. RIZZO124 macrumors member

It's tough to make the comparison. When you buy a Mac, your paying for the UI and all the goodies that come with Mac osx. I'm done with windows, as I've just sold off my last windows device. If I never see windows again I'd be very happy. Unfortunately I have to,deal with it at work.

8. UKgaryb macrumors regular

Not sure why people come to a Mac rumours forum to announce they've bought a competing product.....

Guess what? a million other PC's are cheaper with (on paper) specs >= than the mac's.

9. DFWHD macrumors regular

It was a horrendous experience with 2 failed Dell XPS 8700s that pushed me to Apple products. First unit was DOA, had to wait till they received the first unit back before they shipped the second. Second unit had a hard drive failure after one day. It took a month to get it returned and refunded. Sad part was I worked for Dell at that time. Buyer beware, you get what you pay for.

10. robgendreau macrumors 68030

There are some amazing prices. But it depends what's important; the OP, eg, seems to think he got an iMac comparable monitor when he didn't. But that's probably cuz it's unimportant to him, which is cool.

I'd heartily recommend the hackintosh. If you know what a "kext" is, and can live with some idiosyncracies, it's a great way to get a wonderful machine. And that's especially so if you like tinkering with software and hardware a bit, and you not only save some $$ but have something custom. I'd also suggest that if you go for just a PC that you build your own. That, however, CAN be a bit more expensive than buying a cheap built PC, often just because of the cost of Windows. Check out the hackintosh building sites and you'll see hardware configs that people have running with no problems.

11. brentsg macrumors 68030

Oh, now you're just ruining all the surprises!

12. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I switched to Apple after experiencing A Dell XPS too.

13. mripadmini thread starter macrumors regular

my dad has a dell desktop thats over a year old no problems yet.

UPDATE:

i did go for the $100 upgrade to the i7. the forever license to ms office student 2013 and the 3 year mac afee and the 2 year extended warrenty.

14. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Wait... Windows 8.1? My sympathies. When I saw Windows 8 in prerelease, I ordered a Mac to celebrate. Bought 4 Macs since then, use them all. That idiotic "interface" they have drives me nuts. My wife has to deal with it on her laptop and is good for at least one "I hate Windows 8" exclamation a day.

Went Mac. Not going back. :apple:

15. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i'm watching the JOBS movie right now. and then ran into this post. so, while it's fresh in my mind, i would like to counter this piece of garbage. i call it garbage because it is well, old and tiresome. so that makes it garbage in my book. his sympathies? celebrate? 4 macs? idiotic? that interface he sympathizes with is a GUI just like OS X. the concepts are the same. even Steve Jobs in the movie Jobs called Bill Gates to yell at him for ripping him off. did this guy think buying more macs would make him sympathize more? Make his celebration 4x the amount of macs he acquired?

and im not drunk. i just want to really yell at this guy like steve jobs yelled at bill gates in this movie i'm watching!!!

16. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Umm... no. First and foremost, make sure you never insinuate I am a liar, which you clearly did.

It is neither old nor tiresome because I found Windows 8 all but useless. I tried a number of releases up to and including the release version and found it irritating to use. The Modern interface is not "just like OS X." It's a major irritant, especially for the overwhelming majority of users without touch screens. Yes, I did celebrate as I bought a Mac Mini, 2 MacBook Pros, and a MacBook Air (plus 2 iPads) since I saw Windows 8. As noted, I do have Win 8.1 on my wife's HP laptop, and she hates it.

Sorry, but I DO feel sympathetic toward the guy being stuck with Win8.1. I don't apologize for that.

By the way, in general, your post is nearly incoherent. Win 8.x has nothing to do with Jobs, and forming opinion from movies is kind of iffy, at best.

Not drunk? There goes your best defense.

17. LOLZpersonok, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I think that was a pretty decent buy. I honestly would've kept looking at a place like Futureshop or BestBuy (That is if you purchased directly from Dell's website), but that's still not bad.

I got my HP Envy 15.6" laptop for $650 + shipping and tax, but it was on sale. However, I was able to get two GPUs in it, one dedicated with 2.5GB of video memory. Other than that, and the fact that I have a quad core AMD A10, my laptop is pretty much the same. I just use the 21.5" monitor I already have as a second external display.

18. Peace, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Don't think so..The 27" base model has :

3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor May 2014 ( the Dell is 3.1GHz September 2013 .Older CPU )

8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots
    Thunderbolt 2.0
    USB 3.0
    802.11ac Wi-Fi
    And the built in 27" IPS display with 2560-by-1440 resolution

19. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I'm confused?????

Why, Why would you post that HERE????