Ordered My New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hoe, Jul 21, 2011.

1. hoe macrumors newbie

I have owned an iPad from day one in Canada but this is my first Mac computer. I have been computing since 1993 and primarily used Linux since 2003 but decided to take the plunge into the wonderful world of Macs. Use my iPad extensively but wanted the desktop for such things as genealogy and video editing to compliment my new Sony HD camcorder. Organization of pictures, videos, data and whatnot is of prime consideration. Three of my adult children have purchased Mac Book Pros with a little prodding from dad and are enjoying them immensely so it is now time for dad to enjoy the wave too. The integration between devices and simple automatic backup is certainly a plus/plus. Simplicity is the key. Anyhow that is my little hello to the forum.:)

Wayne

PS: Oh ya, i order the 27", 8RAM, upgraded to best graphics card, i7

2. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

Welcome to the Forum! I returned to Apple after 21 years with Microsoft (I had an Apple II C and an Apple II GS in the '80s.) I purchased a 22 inch imac in May and love it. My next purchases will likely be an iphone and Mac book.

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Welcome, eh! ;)

I was in the Windows (mainly) til about 2003. I had a Linux box running as a file server etc. My first Mac was a Power Mac G5 (still running). I eventually just turned off the Linux box.
    My kids all have Macbooks. Oldest has a Mac book pro. His iBook died a little over a year ago.

I have a 24" iMac & really like it. My wife uses the Power Mac. I'm pondering upgrading her to my iMac ;) (I'd like a 27" iMac with SSD & 2T HD).
    Also looking at getting an iPad.

Once I started using the Mac, I got frustrated with Windows & Linux. The Mac was easy. And more logical. Software Update is so much easier than the mind boggling updates for windows.

4. hoe thread starter macrumors newbie

I never regretted using Linux for those years and up until now never really saw the need to change but with the leaps and bounds Apple has made with and since the release of the iPad it just doesn't make sense at this point in time not to make the transition. There are just TOO many benefits to ignore ... now if l was only using email, Facebook and surfing the net there is no way i would be paying the money to switch to Apple but my computing needs are more then just about those menial needs.

I read a lot and the iPad gives me that and the portability at the local coffee shop and so on, so a laptop wasn't an option for me. Right now I have a Toshiba laptop and a desktop with two 21.5" monitors. I will keep the laptop, for what l don't know and let my new 27" iMac replace my present desktop.

Wayne