Ordered my new mac!! Last question -> external HDD bootcamp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xeleon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Xeleon, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

Xeleon macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Just placed my order for my new iMac with the following specs:

NVIDIAGeForceGTX780M 4GB GDDR5
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
    256GB Flash Storage

The 256GB SSD will be for OS X only, however, I'm thinking of getting a 1TB (3.0 or thunderbolt) HDD for windows bootcamp/windows gaming.

Now.. My question is; will there be any significant noticable difference between an USB 3.0 or a thunderbolt connection to the iMac from HDD. Basicly in terms of FPS/boot time etc. when using bootcamp for gaming. I'm thinking that the thunderbolt won't make any significant difference since it's a basic HHD (not a fusion nor a SSD that will be used for bootcamp), however, am I wrong?

Is there a great difference from USB 3.0 HDDs and Thunderbolt HDDs when using the HDD for bootcamp?

Also, we're talking about an external HDD ofc.

And if anyone knows a lot about this; is there any specific HDD you could recommend? :)

I hope you get what I mean.

Thanks in advance,
    X

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's practically impossible to do Boot Camp over an external USB 3 drive. Me and everyone else have reached the BSOD upon startup when attempting to boot Windows off an external drive in Boot Camp.

Some have reported success over Thunderbolt though, because Windows treats it as an internal PCIe interface.

Speeds? Depends, really. A Buffalo HD-PATU3 operates around 100-120MB/s over both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. And a Promise Pegasus R6 operates at speeds in excess of 300-600MB/s, depending on your RAID configuration.

Depends on what type of Thunderbolt drive you buy.

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I bootcamp into win 8.1 via thunderbolt on a samsung evo pro 256. fast enough.

4. Xeleon thread starter macrumors newbie

Is your samsung evo pro 256 in a dock or internal?

Can you link to it?

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

its external via the portable thunderbolt adapter from seagate.

6. Xeleon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ! :)

Hm, do you know if this SSD would work as well?
    Or is it exceptional that the version you have functions as this..

LaCie 256GB Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series SSD Hard Drive

7. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

I have that drive but my iMac is only delivered next Monday. By then I can tell you if it works booting from that :)

From what I heard it should as thunderbolt for Windows is the same as a PCI lane.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I've seen the LaCie version that you have work pretty well. At the time, Samsung Evo Pro is the fastest consumer SSD on the market, not sure if thats still true today. But placing it via Thunderbolt does slow down its potential speed vs. having in as an internal drive. I only wanted it for the bootcamp purpose since that does not take advantage of the fusion drive that I have.