Ordered New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zutty53, Apr 10, 2014.

1. zutty53 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new iMac 27. I got it with stock 8 gigs of ram and ordered two more 8 gig sticks from Crucial. Is there any problem with having 2 4gig and 2 8 gig (24 total)? I also got it with a 512 SSD. I'm currently using a 2009 24" and hope this new machine will show a big performance increase for my photo editing.

2. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

I'm running 24Gb on a late 2013 iMac and it's just fine. Actually, it's the best computer I've ever bought :).

There shouldn't be any problems with the configuration you describe but be careful and patient when fitting the extra RAM.

3. zutty53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Is there any particular sequence the ram should be installed? Or just put the 2 new 8 gig sticks into the empty slots.
    Thanks!

4. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

I just put them into the empty slots. Some people reckon they find a very small increase in performance by arranging them as 2x8 and 2x4 but I think the general opinion is that it doesn't really matter.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have 24GB as well and just put the added 16GB in the empty slots. Never was an issue for me.

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I've always just added more RAM to the empty slots on my previous iMacs, this is the 1st model that I'll be replacing the stock RAM w/ a full "matched set" of 32GB.

Attached Files:

7. zutty53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any particular reason for adding the new ram beyond the addition? I just added the 2-8 gigs sticks rather than removing my stock 2-4 gig sticks because I simply couldn't afford to buy 4-8 gig sticks at this time.
    Has anyone had anything other than good results with Crucial brand? I chose them over OWC because of price mainly and they seem to have a good reputation.

8. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Crucial has always worked great for me.

I'm itching to add 16GB to my new iMac, but it doesn't seem to need it yet.

9. FantasyX macrumors member

I also have added (about a month ago) 2x8 Crucial sticks to the existing 2x4 totaling of 24 GB of RAM, and I've arranged them from bottom to top 8-4-8-4 like some people have suggested in the past.
    My late 2012 iMac27 has been running smoothly thus far with no issues at all. (Knock on wood)

10. tkwolf macrumors 6502

Running on 24 GB of RAM here, works well! Have fun with your new machine!

11. dangerly macrumors regular

Same situation.
    Working very well.

12. Gianlusp macrumors member

13. Bluzzer macrumors newbie

Waiting for my 27" i7, 780m, 8gb ram(Upgrade myself), 512gb SSD :D