Ordered New MacPro Which is the best RAID Option.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UrsaMajor, Oct 14, 2007.

1. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

Hey, I have a MacPro on order 2.66 x 2 base model, 1 HD. What's the most cost effective way to add a raid 1 mirroring system on this computer? It will be a server (someone else setting it up). Would an external raid drive work? Non-apple Raid card? Seems like apple wants 1k for the card along and the last thread I read they lacked support in it.

Thanks all

2. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

You can set up a software raid using Disk Utility. You can set up either RAID 0 or RAID 1, depending on your needs. You don't need any extra hardware to do this.

3. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Well, most cost effective would be using apples own software raid. I am a user of 1+0. The problem is that it is not officially supported, so it is not recommended of using it in critical systems.

You can put up a 0, 1 ,0+1 or a 10 with the software raid. Only 0 and 1 are "supported".

Apparently people are using external sata raids. They drive a cable from of of the 2 free internal sata connectors and out via rear. The drives are not hot-swapable.

Dont know how many brands there are on the market atm... If I remember right,there should be one or two manufacturers??

The raid card is not a aftermarket option. They apparently sold the card by mistake to that fellow, so I doubt you could score one unless you are lucky.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

RAID 1 is easy - just throw the extra drive/s on there (internal or external - internal will give you better performance) - OS X supports software RAID mirroring and will boot from it if you re-install the OS, setting up the array via disk utility before install.

For what it's worth I have a Mac set up with 4 internal drives set up as two RAID 1 arrays totalling around a terabyte - it boots from the first array and data is on the second. Works great (and has survived a failed drive without issue).

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Side Note - I Hope You Only Bought A Refurb For $2199

You bought a refurb for $2199 right?

6. UrsaMajor thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I didn't realize that OS X had that feature. I'm used to the Imacs, mini's and Macbooks. I figured I'd just add ram myself and extra drive. Perhaps 2 new drives in 1 raid.

Yes, it's "criticial" and will be UPS backed up running 24/7 CRM stuff. RAID saves from drive error, but not replaces backup and taken offsite (fire, theft)

I bought from Macmall, I saw the refurb for the 2.66 dual at 2200 but with tax it was the same as new from macmall after a rebate.

7. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

You cant add the apple raid after the fact, because the machine needs to be wired appropriately for it (so the 4 drive bays go to the RAID card, not the MB) I think for mirroring redundancy software raid should be sufficient.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Isn't that quite irrelevant?

I mean, US of A is nearly the only Apple Store in the world to carry Refurbished products.

9. UrsaMajor thread starter macrumors regular

So just swapping out the drive and adding 2 new ones is fine? What brand would you suggest for reliability? Thanks for this insight!

10. UrsaMajor thread starter macrumors regular

I think he's just curious is all. Yes, I looked at that model and compared prices. With apple I'd have to pay 6% tax adding $132 to the price. Macmall has been good to me and I've bought macs there before. They offer a new one with $150 mail in rebate (2494-150=2344) vs Apple refurb $2330.94 w/tax (both have free shipping).

I doubt I'd resell this anytime soon but it would hold better at the NEW rather than refurb. I've bough mini's refurb and iphone refurb and they've been perfect. So there is value in them but they sometimes price all over the place.

Basically this server job could have been a dhell with linux on it for less, but I insisted on Mac due to it's reliability and value retention. Plus if it needs to be upgraded we can relegate THIS powermac for other duty.

But thank you both for your input!