Ordered new SSD. Any install tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sn0warmy, May 15, 2010.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I am swapping my 320GB 7200RPM HD for this 80GB SSD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

Newegg had $80 instant savings on this drive yesterday, which finally pushed me to pull the trigger. I paid $209 total with free shipping. :)

There is no question about available space because I have only managed to utilize 50GB of space in my current HDD after 8 months of use.

I imagine the physical install should be just the same as a standard HDD, which I have done in plenty of unibody Macbook Pro's. However, I have never dealt with an SSD. Do I need to update the firmware or anything? Is there anything I should be aware of when installing OSX on it?

Will "sleep" work just the same on an SSD as it does on a standard HDD?

Thanks for any input.

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Sleep is instantaneous with an SSD. And yes, installation is exactly the same as if you would with a hard drive.

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Why should we help you when you didn't tell us about that fabulous deal? ;)

Do you have an external USB case? You will need the external case to transfer your apps/docs to the new SSD from the old HD.

You can also use SuperDuper to clone your OS, apps, and docs to the SSD. That's what I did. Again, you still need a USB external case for the SSD to do that transfer.

DON'T sweat the firmware update........... that will likely be a real PITA.

4. mttcee macrumors newbie

get two screwdrivers: a Phillips PH0 for the MBP case and a Torx T6 for the HD screws

5. piwi macrumors regular

I missed it by 4 hours but for 225$ you can still get the boxed version: http://u.nu/3pkx9

6. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

7. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

8. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

haha - fair enough.:)

I ordered this external enclosure for my current HDD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

The install should be simple, I have all the tools from when I installed the 7200rpm drive.

9. piwi macrumors regular

I have a question too actually, I hope the OP doesn't mind my hijacking :)

I got myself the same SSD and I will put a 500GB HDD in an optibay.
    How do I go about mapping ~/Music and ~/Movies to folders on the 500GB HDD while the SSD is the OS disk?
    I would like something cleaner than just telling iTunes the iTunes folder is in another place, I'd rather make something happen system-wide so every application sees the same thing...

10. chopper dave macrumors regular

11. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I have slightly bad news for you. You purchased the Intel X-25M G2 SSD, which is outstanding. I have the same drive, 160GB version. Now for the bad news. You really do need to update the firmware on this drive before you install it. The firmware dramatically helps with write-degradation on the drive over time. The firmware update isn't difficult, but you do need to copy the update software from Intel, burn an ISO image onto a CD, and boot from that CD with the SSD hooked up.

The latest firmware is dated November 2009; and I haven't seen a retail drive from Intel that has this latest firmware. If you Google your drive and firmware update, you'll get the latest version number and links to the help page at Intel to help you with the update.

So, it's not quite as easy as installing a new drive, but well worth the effort. Good luck.

edit: here's the link for the update http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

12. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Can you update the FW from a Mac (13" macbook pro specifically)?

13. piwi macrumors regular

Intel says you can, burn the bootable CD and hold down option just after the dong (like you would do for going into bootcamp). Then the CD will also appear and you can boot on it to flash. Seems pretty straight forward and the ISO is only 3MB or so.

14. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Yes, you can burn the firmware from a Mac. I did this from my i7 MPB and the Intel X-25M G2 drive. The key is to download the ISO image from Intel (link above) and burn as an ISO image onto a CD with the Mac. Then, you boot from the CD. Good luck.

15. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Thanks, I was not aware of this. Luckily I have that exact loctite product in the garage. I'll be sure to use it on the screws.

Diablo, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you!

I've read in a couple other places that a firmware update is necessary. I'll definitely take the time to do this.

Also, anyone know if Apple has come out with a TRIM update for OSX?

16. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy