Ordered online - in store exchange possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by littvay, Aug 13, 2011.

1. littvay macrumors member

Dear All

I ordered my Air online. I am within the 14 days. I am not happy with it. (Probably actually defective but within the 14 days it is not my job to figure out). Is an in-store exchange (for same model) possible if the store has one? Also, it was charged on my father's credit card (who is out of the country). Would this throw any monkey wrenches in a possible in store exchange. (It was a back to school purchase. That might be relevant detail.)

Does anyone know?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is it registered in your name? If it is your good to go.

And yes they will swap it providing they have stock.

3. hasty1991 macrumors newbie

Bar iPods and iPhones, I'm a new Apple customer. Just run this one by me again - how exactly does this 14 day exchange period work.

For example, the OP says it's probably defective. Now I understand that if you're within 14 days then you can return the device, no questions asked - but exchange too - they'll do that without any hassle if you're not 100% happy with your original? E.g. Samsung/Lg/Toshiba/Small Imperfections etc

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

The online store and the brick and mortar store are treated as two separate entities and usually returns and exchanges have to be performed at the original facility of purchase. A manager may be able to make an exception but doesn't have to so do not be surprised if things don't go how you want them to. If your MacBook Air is a CTO then that complicates things greatly for any type of in store exchange or return.

5. littvay thread starter macrumors member

brand - what I am worried about is exactly what you are saying. It is an i7 13" so it is definitely CTO. And the Apple store is 2+ hours away (one way). I don't want to take a chance. I also don't want to be stuck without a laptop for too long.

To answer some questions: it was shipped to my name, it is registered under my name. The card was just my dad's. And oh yeah. The Apple Store is in a different state (with higher sales tax). Is that an issue?

Anyone with experience on this matter?

6. sparkhill, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

sparkhill macrumors regular

Just take copy of your receipt. You will have no problems. Many, including myself, have exchanged online orders in the store.

7. B.Chang macrumors member

Actually this isn't true. I've exchanged many things that I purchased online in actual stores.

I had a defective AirPort Extreme; this was exchanged in store. I switched from a 17" MBP purchased online CTO, to a 15" in a store. I also returned a trackpad I purchased online at a store.

You can find many posts of people buying things online and returning them in the store.

----------

Issues only arise if you purchased out of the country due to exchange rates.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Call the store and ask them so you don't waste a trip. Beyond the stock model, some stores carry the Ultimate, so you'd have to choose between those 2 choices in-store.

9. B.Chang macrumors member

He can also have the store simply order him the same configuration online again.

10. scottelloco, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

scottelloco macrumors newbie

Sorry, I thought this was an iPhone 4S return discussion. Message deleted.