ordered quad imac, can I order RAM elsewhere cheeper

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by colinL, Nov 19, 2009.

1. colinL macrumors newbie

I just ordered online a 27in quad I7 imc but I kept the memory at the base level. I will need additional memory but I am under the impression memory can be bought elsewhere for less.

After searching the net I see it's not as simple as I had hoped, I'm not finding any links that specifically say the RAM is compatible with the imac and I'd hate to order it and find it wasn't.

I am hoping to order an additional 2x4GB, could someone tell me if the RAM on the link below will work, or if they have any other advice/discount links. If not I should probably go back and adjust my order.

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/products/T25439-Kingston_Technology-KVR1066D3Q8R7SK28G.html

cheers,

Colin. :)

2. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

You can usually find better prices for RAM any place other than Apple. Apple does tend to charge premium prices for RAM upgrades.

You can go to OWC (macsales.com), crucial.com, or several other places. OWC specializes in selling Mac parts but both of them will allow you to select what Mac computer you have and they will tell you what RAM is compatible with it.

Also your owner's manual will tell what RAM your computer uses or if you lost your owner's manual then go to the :apple: logo in the top left and select about this Mac. Select More Info and then the Memory category and it will tell what RAM you have.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

2 x 4GB? so two 4 gig chips?

gonna set you back $500...

probably better off with 2 X 2GB chips, about $90

how much ram did your old machine have?

2 X 4GB will surely be cheaper if you wait... and if your old rig had less than 4 gigs, i dont think going to 12 will make a big difference for you...

4. colinL thread starter macrumors newbie

To order 8GB with apple installed into the machine costs $600 and as they take the 2x2GB out, by buying elsewhere I essentially get 4GB free. I'll be using it for visual effects mostly, shake, Nuke and Photoshop as well as HD editing on Final cut. I may try the standard 4GB first and see how it goes, but I hate to think there is more power under the hood that isn't being utilized if the RAM is low.

thanks all for the info

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Unfortunately, that is ECC RAM, which will not work with the iMac's motherboard. You will have to get non-ECC.

Other posters have already mentioned two of the best sites for Mac RAM. The best current prices can be found at ramseeker.com.