Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TazExprez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
New York
I ordered a MBP 16 M1 Pro with 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I am considering ordering the one with the 24 core GPU, instead.

I am going to be using this machine for web development and perhaps mobile development with React Native. I am currently learning React and Node.js. I am using AdonisJS and MySQL on the back end. I don't really have any heavy requirements and just run a few servers for the front and back end when doing web stuff. When doing React Native, I just need to run VSCode, the iPhone XCode emulator, the Android Studio phone emulator, and perhaps some additional servers for the back end, if needed. I also normally have 20 to 50 tabs open on Chrome. I think I had about 70 open at one point. Sometimes this is in one instance of Chrome, but other times this is over several instances.

I ordered the MBP 16 M1 Pro setup because I think that the Max M1 chips might be overkill for me. Now I am having second thoughts and am considering changing my order. This will probably move the shipping date from mid to late January all the way out to late February or early March. What do you think? I also just ordered a base MBA M1 7 core GPU from Best Buy on a whim. The price was incredible, so I couldn't resist. I will try it out and see how it goes with that one, which should arrive next week. Many have said that the MBA is an incredible machine, so I guess I'll see very soon.

Thanks for any help.

kentzh

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
I’m glad that I chose the silver 16-inch, 32 cores, 64G RAM, 1t ssd, and received it on December 16, but due to scratches on the fuselage, I chose to exchange it, and I will probably receive it here on December 30; I think if you plan to use it for a longer period of time, you can choose richer performance as much as possible, so as to avoid the problems of high-intensity work and insufficient performance in the future, but the waiting time is long, because of the global shortage of chips, so you have to Evaluate whether the current configuration is completely suitable for you.

Reactions: TazExprez

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I ordered a MBP 16 M1 Pro with 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I am considering ordering the one with the 24 core GPU, instead.

I am going to be using this machine for web development and perhaps mobile development with React Native. I am currently learning React and Node.js. I am using AdonisJS and MySQL on the back end. I don't really have any heavy requirements and just run a few servers for the front and back end when doing web stuff. When doing React Native, I just need to run VSCode, the iPhone XCode emulator, the Android Studio phone emulator, and perhaps some additional servers for the back end, if needed. I also normally have 20 to 50 tabs open on Chrome. I think I had about 70 open at one point. Sometimes this is in one instance of Chrome, but other times this is over several instances.

I ordered the MBP 16 M1 Pro setup because I think that the Max M1 chips might be overkill for me. Now I am having second thoughts and am considering changing my order. This will probably move the shipping date from mid to late January all the way out to late February or early March. What do you think? I also just ordered a base MBA M1 7 core GPU from Best Buy on a whim. The price was incredible, so I couldn't resist. I will try it out and see how it goes with that one, which should arrive next week. Many have said that the MBA is an incredible machine, so I guess I'll see very soon.

Thanks for any help.
Same This is a portable desktop replacement, I ordered the 16 M1 Pro. But due to delays it was feeling insufficient and thanks to a few tax refunds. And a past due $1,400 Stimi check from Uncle Sam. Canceled it and decided to live my best life and go full 16” M1 MAX and 32GB RAM and 32 Core GPU.

Also thanks to the .Edu discount Saves a cool $300 cash

but I have chronic buyers remorse. And decided on the 14” 10 Core And 16 Core GPU since I get to pocket or save $1,100 cash which I’m investing in buying as much ETH as I can before it blows past $5,000 a coin.

Donsell

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2021
The difference between the Pro and the Max is in the GPU. They both have the same, 10 core CPU. Moving to the Max won't make a difference in the software you listed as running. It does make a difference for video production so if that's in your future maybe.

But I would consider keeping the Pro. It'll retain its value and in 2 years when the M2-Max is out consider upgrading at that time.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Howdy TazExprez,

I second (third?) what Donnell and TGM85 said. For web development workload, the extra GPU cores will go wasted. The primary reason to switch to a Max from a Pro (for you) should be RAM considerations. If you run lots of VMs, you may want more RAM. If you want the 64 GB option, you HAVE to go Max. Otherwise, the Pro should do well for you :)

Rich S.

Reactions: TazExprez and TGM85

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I got the same model as you did as I bought just after it opened and was in a big hurry to order it. I had assumed that I could run three external monitors but didn't realize the M1 PRO only supports 2. CPU horsepower-wise, I'm actually fine with the M1. I didn't want to wait another six weeks to get an M1 MAX - especially when an M1 MAX mini would really be ideal. So I am going to stick with the M1 PRO and just use it as a laptop and will do something else on the desktop.

I don't see what the benefit of the 24 core model would do for you. I can see the increased bandwidth helping a little.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
The difference between the Pro and the Max is in the GPU.

Which also effects the number of external monitors the notebook can run, if you have a multi screen set-up (I think the Pro is 2 5k monitors at 60hz and the Max is 3 5k monitors at 60hz). But (and I am not 100% sure about this) perhaps a dock could overcome that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.