Ordered the new MacBook Pro - Did I make a big mistake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NOLF1, Jun 12, 2017.

1. NOLF1 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading from a MacBook Pro that is several years old. (It still has a DVD drive on it)

I decided to upgrade to the 2017 15" 2.8Ghz model with upgraded Radeon 560 video card and upgraded 512 SSD. I ordered it a few days ago.

I decided NOT to get the 2.9Ghz model because I thought the only difference was a 100Mhz speed increase. Today I decided to browse the Apple site again, and I noticed that the 2.9Ghz model also has 8MB cache, while mine only has 6MB. I tried to cancel the order, but it is already in processing.

Now I am wondering, did I make a big mistake here? Is 8MB cache compared to 6MB a big difference? (It would have only been $80 more to get the 2.9Ghz with more cache.)

I am thinking maybe I should return it when it gets here and order the other one?

I appreciate any info!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It'll be more than fine. You've bought a beast of a machine. Don't worry!

3. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it at all. The difference in CPU performance between the two is so minimal it's really not even worth thinking about it. To tell you the truth, unless you're doing something particularly demanding I can't imagine the CPU would be the bottleneck anyway.

It's an absolute beast of a machine - the SSDs Apple use are stupidly fast and the new AMD Radeon graphics is pretty fantastic too.

4. flaubert macrumors member

I think your only mistake was posting in the wrong branch of the forum :D. The hardware difference is going to be pretty much undetectable.

5. developer13245 macrumors 6502

developer13245

Return it and get the faster one for $80 more. It will cost Apple more than the $80 to process the exchange, so a loss for them is a positive for the world at large.

6. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

what? no it won't..

anyway, why so petty? if you want to stick it to apple, that is def not the way to go about it.

7. Retromac2008 macrumors regular

Retromac2008

the only mistake is to buy the terrible 13" model, this notebook has nothing PRO

all the 15" Macbooks are perfect, probably the best thin laptop ever created