Ordered up an ipad, should I cancel?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BrunoMac, Jul 4, 2010.

1. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

I know lame question. I'm just wondering if I should wait til January for a new release? Is a new iPad coming? Will it have a front facing camera and retina display?

What to do?? Any thoughts?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there will always be something newer, better, and improved on the horizon. get what meets your needs when you need it.

if you're going to wait six months for an update to the ipad, why wouldn't you wait another year after that for the next update? or wait again.

get what meets your needs/wants now.

3. MacVDS macrumors regular

.....yes...

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I would wait, for full iOS4 support and a retina display.

5. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

1) Strangers on an internet forum should not be making purchasing decisions for you.
    2) At some stage in time a new iPad will come, whether that is January 2011 is anybody's guess at this stage.
    3) Nobody knows whether the next iPad will have a front facing camera or 'retina display'. Currently it appears that it is unlikely to have a 'retina display'.

6. tuamtuem macrumors member

Apple can sell a lot of iPads this year. I think that Apple will not include the retina display or front facing camera in the next release of iPads because Apple still can sell them. They may add more RAM or make a battery bigger or improve the A4 chip.

I guess we can see the big change of the iPad in the next twe years :p

7. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I'd say wait. It would be nice to see an iPad version of FaceTime in the 2nd gen.

8. radicalcentrist macrumors member

I know, I know, all of the "get it now and enjoy it, the next one will never have all of the features of the one after that" stuff, but since I'm not much of an entertainment "consumer" (movies and the like) via my Apple hardware, I'm waiting for FaceTime on the iPad.

Facetime on the iPad will be phenomenal. :)

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Basically if the ipod is lacking features which 'you need' in order to enjoy it, then wait.

If those extra features are only supplemental and not fundamental then get one now.

iPad 2 will no doubt have a camera. Retina Display is highly unlikely. Remember if like the iphone it doubles the pixel density it would mean your 9.7" display would go from 1024 x 768 to 2048 x 1536 which is a considerable leap. The iPhone 4's 960 x 640 is still lower than the current iPad. So for the ipad to leap resolution would not only require a considerable bump in graphical power, CPU and therefore battery usage also. No one actually manufactures Retina Displays to anywhere close to that size, and therefore would require a massive leap for the manufacturers also. Something which is highly unlikely to be here in 12 months let alone 6, and then the cost would be considerably higher too.

The reality is a 10-20% mhz boost in CPU & GPU, internal mem upgraded to 512mb and a camera are the iPad 2's most likely advances.

With the ipad still not launched globally, and only the third wave of countries in line for the end of July, with more to come and of course the ipad's first 'holiday season' - the chances also of new refreshed ipad devices in Jan are very slim. If anything it will be April / June 2011.

9.7" retina displays are way off in the horizon.

10. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm missing something but call me crazy, why would we need a camera on something so big?

I guess I don't see lifting and carrying around a 9.7 inch display to take a pic of something.

11. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

They're talking about a front facing camera, you know, for FaceTime

12. aurora72 macrumors newbie

Possible but unlikely because A4 is already a very improved chip, or better say it's a chipset as it combines CPU, GPU and RAM I/O, as far as I know. Actually A4 is the best thing about iPad, though hidden behind the other shiny features, but to me it's the best.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No one knows for sure but most likely the next iPad will not be released in January. 2nd quarter is far more likely. Front camera: maybe though I'm sure tests have reveled to Apple R&D that it would be very unwieldy on an iPad. As for display Apple may increase the resolution but probably not to the "Retina" specs since this would be far to costly.

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Thank you. my thoughts exactly!:cool:

15. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

Just get it. Remember, it won't get any worse when a new product comes out.

16. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

I think there's a better chance of it being released in April and that's nearly a year away

17. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Keep your order. If in fact there is a new one in January, you can always sell your "old" one. Personally, I don't use iChat at all on my MacBook... and Retina won't be on the new one... for sure.

18. BrunoMac thread starter macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Decided to keep the order, thanks for your input.