ordered verizon iphone 6 plus online with 2 year contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisStunner, Sep 27, 2014.

1. ChrisStunner macrumors member

I ordered from the apple website. I plan on canceling the contract and keeping the phone. What is the best way about doing this? The only reason why I am doing this is because the iphone 6 plus is not available in any store around my area and the website will not sell device only iphone 6 units. When i receive my new device, should I call to terminate the contract before or after I activate the phone? While I am at it, i should might as well save as much money as possible. Would canceling before i activate the phone avoid me paying any activation fees and bills for the service? Will i just pay the early termination fee of $350? So here is what i think the price breakdown for my two options are:

Cancel before activation
    Verizon iphone 6 plus 128gb: $499 + tax
    Etf: $350
    = ~$850

Cancel after activation
    Iphone: $499 + tax
    Activation fee: $30-$35
    Bill for one day of use: $9 (im just guessing here)
    Etf: $350
    = ~$894

Okay so it looks like it will be smarter to use the first option, but i am wondering if i cancel before activation, will Verizon just bill be for the full retail price of the device minus the $499 subsidized price instead of charging the etf? If that is the case, i should go with the second option because the full retail price is $949 + tax, which is more expensive than the second option that i explained. So can somebody recommend a plan for me to do that will save me the most money without any troubles? I would buy the phone straight up if it was available, but it's not.

2. Whtchdr macrumors member

They will charge you the ETF and a prorated bill for how ever long the account is active. You won't be able to get out of the activation fee. That is linked to the promotional price you paid.

3. ChrisStunner thread starter macrumors member

Okay so even if i dont activate the phone when i receive it, i still have to pay activation fee?

4. zeeyo987 macrumors regular

yup, to cancel the service phone needs to be activated first

5. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

I would suggest to activate the phone. Then go to an Apple Store and see if they can process a return/repurchase. If not, you have to deal with the online store reps on the phone.

Unfortunately, since you've already placed the order for a 2-year contract, the actual line needs to be activated.

I did the same thing, but I repurchased the phone in store for full price without a line associated with it after the 1st order was completed (2-yr contract line activation).

6. ChrisStunner thread starter macrumors member

Okay so now i know that i should activate it. What time after activation is it ideal to cancel the contract? Immediately after or after the 14 day return period?

7. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

I say as soon as you can. And if an Apple Store can do the return and repurchase process for you, they will automatically inform Verizon of the return and deactivation, and you just need to verify with Verizon within 24-48hrs.

8. ChrisStunner thread starter macrumors member

I'd rather not go to any Apple Store because there are none near me. I will just do it by phone