Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Derry, Northern Ireland, UK
Hi All,

Need some advice on purchasing my new 27" iMac.

The machine I plan to purchase is as follows:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 [+ £160.00]
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
No AppleCare or AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac [+ £142.00]

I plan to use the machine to do a lot of video editing for my YouTube channel where I upload Call of Duty videos, and I also plan to do a decent amount of gaming on it.

Problem is, I can't decide if I should go with the i7 Processor, or AppleCare.

Can any of you give me some advice?

Is the i7 worth it for what I plan to do on the iMacv(video editing and gaming)?

Has anyone had any experience with AppleCare in the past? Have they repaired your machine, or gave you a brand new, current generation one?

For example if I purchase AppleCare and my machine breaks in 2 years time, will they be likely to give me a brand new 2013 iMac, or fix my own?

That would be the only thing that would more than likely sway me from the i7.

Should I just take the plunge and get both?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Caolán.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
They repair it.

Its not a replacement program.

Applecare can be purchased anytime in the first year of ownership, so you dont have to rush out and buy it now.

And you should shop around. At least here in the US, AC can be purchased third party for $70 less than apple sells it.

I dunno why anyone would want to see your CoD videos. And editing that video is simple.

Last edited:

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I don't think you'll see much, or even any, benefit from the i7. My opinion? Get the AppleCare.

If it breaks down in two years' time, Apple will try to fix it. The unofficial 'rule of thumb' is that, if they can't fix it within three attempts, they'll give you a new one of the same calibre in the new range.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I think I might wait to buy AppleCare and get it later in the year.

Also, dh2005, are you sure I won't see a significant benefit from the i7, even in video processing and gaming?

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I think it depends on what you mean by "video processing", mate. For someone who's a professional or semi-pro video person, yeah, the i7 makes sense. For you? I dunno. Kinda depends on how much you do, how demanding your processes are, and how precious your time is.

Not really possible for me to say definitively. But the gut instinct I have is that the i5 will do you fine.

Xybr

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2006
Unless it's different in the UK (might check with Apple), you can add AppleCare within the iMac's 1-year warranty.

If I were in that position, I'd go with the CPU upgrade and get AppleCare 3-6 months later (or when I have cash available to get it). Mainly because it's difficult to upgrade parts on the iMac and unless the CPU is socketed, it may not be upgradeable later.

AppleCare is that flood insurance you may never need/use, but it's handy when you do need it. I bought a 2007 20" Aluminum iMac and 9 months later, my HDD went out and Apple did a warranty replacement of my HDD. I got AppleCare since the 1-year warranty was nearly out. About 16 months later, my HDD went out again. Apple replaced my logic board and HDD and the issue never returned. It could've just been a case of bad luck with that model, but my next 27" iMac will be getting AppleCare within 1 year of purchase.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
dh2005, By video processing I mean 10 minute HD gameplay commentaries everyday in iMovie, 30+ minute HD vids once a week, and editing in Final Cut Express once a month.

Also, recording and editing files in Garageband, and editing in photos Aperture and PS.

Will the i7 make a difference in gaming?

Turns out I can purchase AppleCare at a later date, says so on the Apple site (checked to make sure).

Now I just have to decide if the CPU upgrade is worth it.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Okay. Well, the i7 would save you some time, of course - how much, I honestly don't know.

As for gaming, I would say that it probably won't make much difference. The occasional game you find is more CPU-dependent than others - Black Ops, for instance - but I would say that the GPU will handicap you before the i5.

It's up to you, mate.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Any more input?

I think I'm swaying towards i5 here to be honest. I'm not ordering until next week anyway, so I have a while to decide.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Nothing more from me, mate... you might want to add some RAM after-the-fact. Don't buy it from Apple.

treebark7182

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I usually use the same computer for 4-5 years so I figure go for the processor upgrade now because you can't add it later. Get AppleCare down the road when the sting of a big purchase subsides. I went for the i7. The thing is a monster.

Caolan96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I usually use the same computer for 4-5 years so I figure go for the processor upgrade now because you can't add it later. Get AppleCare down the road when the sting of a big purchase subsides. I went for the i7. The thing is a monster.

Yeah that's what I was thinking at the start, this computer will be my main computer for a long time. I upgrade my MacBook to the latest generation every 1/2 years, but the iMac will be here to stay.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
No worries.

All the best, whatever you decide to buy. You'll not be disappointed, either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.