Ordering a 12" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brepublican, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. brepublican macrumors 6502a


    Jul 22, 2005
    Hi guys,

    I've decided I cant wait for the much anticipated PB update anymore and even though the buyer's guide says not to, I'm going to go ahead and order the 12" PB combo (stock). I'm a little bit scared of going BTO and getting a 100GB HD, but money is also a factor.

    Anywhich, question is, is there anyway I can use 2 credit cards @ the online store? I'm getting an iPod, Printer, Office:mac and iWork too and its going to over $2000, which is definitely over the credit limit for my card. So is there anyway you can use more than one? I got my DeLL last year and I used 2 cards...

    Thanks in advance.
  2. ckeck macrumors 6502a


    Jul 29, 2005
    I'm pretty sure you would need to call the order in if you want to split the total (assuming they can do that at all).

    There was no option to split the transaction online when I ordered my PB the other week.

    Also, why are you scared of ordering BTO w/ 100GB hard drive? I ordered my 15" PB BTO w/ 128MB video and 100GB HD and it only took 1.5 weeks to get here. Placed order on the 8/5, here on 8/12.

    Congrats also...I'm sure you will love it.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus


    May 1, 2005
    Yes, I would think that calling in would work better, because when I ordered my iMac online, there was no option to add another card.

    I think maybe the OP is anxious in the offhand chance that something might happen to the PB in which case no returns or exchanges allowed on BTO machines. I didn't think this would ever apply to me, but it took over 3 weeks to have a faulty optical drive replaced in my brand new iMac G5 so I understand the OP's reluctance. However, rest assured, that if there is a problem, Apple will still address the issue (hopefully!) even on a BTO.
  4. ajampam macrumors regular


    Jul 31, 2005
    I got a 12 PB recently after awaiting updates for ages....good decision buddy, hope that you are very happy with it for years to come.....and anyways, calling in or visiting an apple store if there is any nearby, is your best bet.....
  5. briangig macrumors regular

    May 16, 2005
    welcome to the club..the 12" is a great little machine. very speedy too.
  6. brepublican thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jul 22, 2005
    Thanks for the input. I called Apple and its all good. I got it on both cards
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, or you could have just put the PB on one credit card, and the rest on another credit card.
  8. brepublican thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jul 22, 2005
    This is getting harder than I had ever thought possible. I get a call from Apple today telling me that I actually have to go into a store to get my order on more than 1 credit card. sigh. Nearest store is an hour away... :(
  9. Gwendolyn macrumors member

    Feb 3, 2005
    That's surprising... I remember that someone else from here recently reported no problems with this. When I ordered my husband's PB, the price was above my credit card limit at the time, so I called the card up, told them I wanted to buy a laptop, and asked for a higher limit, which they promptly gave me. I'm not sure how well this would work for everyone--whether it's right for you may vary depending on your company and your credit (and your spending habits), but it was effective in my case. Otherwise, Abstract had a good suggestion too, but you would probably want to consult with the Apple Store first and be sure that even though your purchases would be on separate invoices, that you would still qualify for the rebates, since having the items on the same invoice is required by the terms of the rebates. Did the Apple rep say whether you'd be able to get your order on two credit cards at the store while still ordering a BTO machine, or would they make you settle for the stock model? If you do go to the store, I'd try to ensure that they put your order on one physical receipt to be sure you won't have trouble qualifying for the rebates in that case, too... that is, assuming you are planning to submit them.

    In any case, best of luck, and I hope you find a way to get your PB without too much additional hassle!
  10. iEdd macrumors 68000


    Aug 8, 2005
    Hour's drive? Easy. You wait an hour or you wait 1-2weeks.

    My nearest apple store is about 4 hours away*

    *Good one, that is... There is one where I live that I wouldn't go to again....
  11. dcv macrumors G3

    May 24, 2005
    As it's a stock model you are better off buying it in store rather than online as it's easier to return it (in the unlikely event that something is wrong with it) and won't have to pay any collection charges. and as someone else pointed out you'll have it straight away :) I have exactly the same machine... trust me, you'll love it!

Share This Page