Ordering a Mac Pro, need some help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Enjoi, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Enjoi macrumors newbie

Hi, I am building a mac pro right now on Apples site for my dad. He is going to be using it for mainly advertising and some other stuff.

Here is what I have so far.

Now I am asking because I like both PC's and Mac's but still at loss for the video card. I mean, the first thing that comes to mind right now for me is 8800GT over a 2600XT since that is what I use for gaming.

But since he won't be gaming on it I am wondering if would be better to get a 2600XT over an 8800GT. He is going to be using a 23" Cinema Display so it won't be as demanding on the Video Card as larger displays are.

Also I am wondering about the RAM. First, should I stick with the ECC RAM? I am wondering since it it very expensive, but there must be a reason why. Also is 2 gb's fine or should I go for 4 gb's.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh please, these are such sissy questions. You don't need any help, you just want to show off! :D

3. Enjoi thread starter macrumors newbie

I am serious, I really am at loss here. All I want is some advice on this.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, in all seriousness...

All video cards are fine if you're not gaming. So don't waste money. ECC memory is up to you - here is a definition of it.

5. Enjoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I will just go with the 2600XT.

And I guess the smartest thing to do is stick with ECC memory. One final question, 2 or 4gb's of it?

6. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Don't waste your money on the 8800 if your not going to be doing any gaming or serious video/animation work.

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Not always... I use Aperture frequently and the NvidiaGeForce 7300 GT I very stupidly configured my Pro with sucks with it.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I thought mine was quite nice... coming off a first gen MacBook Pro.

9. Enjoi thread starter macrumors newbie

10. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

What will Pops be using it for? Does he need the Mac Pro? Can he get by with a nice 24" iMac or perhaps a single chip Mac Pro and save $500?

Don't know the parameters of the purchase as in budget and what it will be used for.

11. whistler222 macrumors 6502

1. don't buy a second hard drive.. the cost of it can land you TWO of the same harddrive from newegg

2. don't buy more ram from apple. go to OWC> cheaper..

3. get the 8800gt video card. it's 200 bucks for a 3000 dollar machine.

12. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

The way I understand it your dad won't play any games and doesn't use apps for 3d modeling of any sort. In this case I'd choose the cheapest card available. Signal quality used to matter before DVI came out, but since it's all digital and he's mostly using it for 2D purposes it's quite a waste to buy such an expensive gfx card.

On the other hand: You might be in the position to "borrow" the box from time to time. In that case I'd pick the 8800 :D

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

It sounds like you want to buy ram from apple, for the good of mankind do not do this. Buying from apple will result in 10x the cost compared to a place like newegg.com. Yes, 10x. Dont get ripped off by apple and do everyone a favor by not participating in such a scam since it only encourages them to keep doing it.

The 2600XT may be garbage compared to the 8800 GT but thats only by comparison, the 8800GT is one of the best cards on the market so it makes almost every card look like garbage. For mild gaming and any 2D work the 2600XT is still a perfectly capable card.

14. Enjoi thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check.

So far, my dad went to a local mac shop instead of an Apple store and here is what he has so far.

HDD's will be bought at Newegg since they are way cheaper, and I have had great experiences with them in the past.

I want him to stick with the 2600 XT, but the 8800GT is better. And this is the first time I have seen an Apple desktop with the latest GPU and CPU, so I am definitely having second thoughts on the 2600 XT.