Ordering a Mac Problem...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hoopdy, May 17, 2008.

1. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

So I'm finally convinced that I need and want a mac. Just one problem, I won't be able to pay for it all at once.

I looked at apple.com and it said I could get it with no interest for 90 days. How does this work?

2. JCCash macrumors regular

>>Now you can order the Mac system of your dreams, your favorite iPod, or anything else from the Apple Store today and pay no interest on your purchase for up to 90 days.<<

You apply online for the Juniper Visa credit card. You will be approved online. You then use that card number to pay for your iMac order and they give you 90 days no interest.

You only get the 90 day no interest if you use the card at the time you apply for the credit card.

>>The Juniper Visa Card gives you a Visa® credit card with no annual fee and an annual percentage rate as low as 13.74%(3), plus the opportunity to earn iTunes rewards with every purchase.<<

I have the card but so far I have not used it. I am waiting on a check to arrive from a customer before I order my new iMac (or Macbook Pro - can't make up my mind...).

JC

3. Hoopdy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm not doing that. There is no benefit and the APR is really high.

Is there any way I can just get them to do a credit check and get the iMac?

I want to get the Mac and then pay it off within a couple months.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

maybe somone selling one localy would have a plan maybe grab a loan from ur family and pay them off my bro did that with my mom for a car not huge amount tho maybe the price of a new imac :p cdn of course

5. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't finance, that's why they have the setup with Juniper Bank.

Are you a member of a Credit Union?

You could, as my son did, get a " personal loan " from the Credit Union, pay it off in 3 payments over 90 days.

Sure there will be a little bit of interest, but won't be much over 90 days.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

What do you mean, no benefit? You want a mac and want to pay for it a month or two later. That's exactly what they're offering you. You get the mac, interest free for 90 days (probably no payment due either, for 90 days), pay it off and cancel the card. Not trying to sound harsh, just want you to get what you want (and with no interest).

7. two man riot macrumors newbie

buy from Macmall.com and pay using billmelater...basically a credit union.

8. CBAviator macrumors 6502

This is only a good option if you don't mind your credit score falling 80 points. I am a bank officer and I see this all the time.

The best thing is to either get a personal loan with something probably around 8% interest or.....you mentioned that you'd pay off a loan within a couple months, so why don't you wait until you have all the money and then you won't have to worry about anything (I know, somewhat of a crazy idea to have the money before purchasing something these days :eek:).

9. bbydon macrumors 6502a

I agree, i'd wait till you have the money or borrow from your parents.
    The imacs will update again for the fall so you could get that update with out the risk of paying any interest.

Thats just my thought.

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Why does everyone seem to be in such a hurry to spend their hard earned money (or yet to be earned money)? Just save your money and buy it when you can afford it. Being able to afford it means that you can pay cash for it. It doesn't mean that you can make the monthly payments.

Or get a job with an expense account :D

Cheers.
    :):apple:

11. JCCash macrumors regular

I agree with Hawkeye and the others. That is why I am waiting to pay for it and not have payments or take money out of savings. I have what is called a salesman "SPIFF" from Sony on some cameras I sold. I am just waiting for the PIN number of the Visa debit card they sent me (last week) to arrive. It should arrive on Tuesday. When it arrives, I'll use that card and some cash I have saved to buy an iMac or Macbook Pro. (Can’t make up my mind).

If he can't wait to pay with cash, then he can use an interest free payment with the Apple option. As others have said, that would give him the three months he wants to pay it off. He would most likely need to make min payment for three months. Then pay it off. Another option is get a one year 0% visa card and use that making what ever payments he can afford. I guess he could also see if a bank would loan him the money for a short term loan.

Spend wisely,

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i wouldnt use cash if i have cash my mom buys it on visa then i give her the money to pay off the purchase cause ur covered with visa ie my bike got jacked in a certian amount of time and i got a new one at no cost to myself or mom

13. CBAviator macrumors 6502

This isn't really the point. I don't literally mean giving them cash or writing a check---use a debit or credit card (that's what I would do). My point, which is probably the same as others, is that we are trying to tell you to save up the money before making the purchase. It's fine to put it on a credit card, but have the money first.

You are saying that you have a dilemma because you are trying to find a loan or credit card that you will pay off within a couple months. Just save up for a couple months and then make your purchase with the entire amount and save yourself a lot of trouble.

14. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

The Juniper card is a decent way to pay it off over time but like what many have said. I would recommend waiting until you have the funds (or until you know they are coming in) to buy. Also beware that when you apply for the Juniper card, they will approve you for a certain amount and depending, you may or may not get enough to buy the computer you want.

I basically use credit cards for the bonus rewards and to build credit (for future loans or buying a house) and pay them off completely with my checking account when the bill comes. Plus you get the benefits from credit cards like buyer protection and convenience.

Of note, with a credit card, depending on when the bill cycle is, you won't have to pay it off for a while. I bought my iMac in early May and the bill won't be due until end of June. So with a job, that's two months to set money aside for it.

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lol very true just wanted to say how better a credit card is than cash