Ordering a Mac with a foreign keyboard to retail store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Metope, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Metope macrumors newbie

So I've decided to buy a 15" Macbook Pro Retina, but there is a minor problem. A little background info first: I'm from Norway, studying in the UK, and I'm going to the states for 3 weeks in March. After doing some research, I've discovered that my cheapest option is to buy the computer in the states, and AppleCare in the UK (apparently Apple recommends buying it in your country of residence anyway, so that's a no-brainer). However, I would really like a Norwegian keyboard, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible for a retail store to order a computer like that to them there, for me to pick up? I emailed them a while ago and I've not gotten a reply yet, so I'm asking here now. If this isn't possible I'll just get an American one instead, but it would be really nice to know anyway.

Also, about the AppleCare, how do I go about buying that afterwards? I live close to a retail store, can I just walk in and ask for it there even though I've purchased the computer elsewhere?

Thanks for your help!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Give the nearest store and give them a call.
    Although most stores dont offer foreign keyboards unless you order online, you might have some chance.

And yes, just walk in and ask them for AppleCare.
    Just pay and walk out.
    Go on your computer and do the directed things inside the box.
    Nothing fancy is in there anyways. Just papers lol

I actually prefer to buy at B&H in the States.
    Got my AppleCare 100USD off for my 17in (350USD originally but got it for 250.)

3. etn macrumors newbie

Hello -
    thisis my first post here. Been reading the forum for a long time but
    this is the first time I have something interesting to say ;-)

It IS possible to order a laptop with a foreign keyboard, albeit only
    through the online (telephone, not internet) store. A local Apple store cannot help here.
    Give them a call and mention you want a specific keyboard layout.
    I just ordered a "classic" MBP last week. They entered the order with
    a standard US keyboard, then modified it in the system for a Swiss layout (in my case)

Hope this helps,

Etienne