Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2011
When can I order one with Mountain lion fresh install and when would you expect it to arrive

I would prefer it to be the clean install and not the store inventory with Lion updatred in the back room

Thoughts?

Thank you

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Why don't you just order a MBA now and format it before installing ML?
You can really install it yourself they way you want... No point in waiting.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When can I order one with Mountain lion fresh install and when would you expect it to arrive

I would prefer it to be the clean install and not the store inventory with Lion updatred in the back room
There is no difference between ordering a Mac with ML installed and ordering one with Lion and upgrading to ML when it's released. Waiting is pointless.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
There is no difference between ordering a Mac with ML installed and ordering one with Lion and upgrading to ML when it's released. Waiting is pointless.
If you can hold out a few days you save the $20 for ML and the hassle (very very minor one) of upgrading.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
My BTO MacBook Air has been shipped from China today, and it will be delivered on Friday. Do you think it will have ML installed?

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004

What in the world gave you the idea that Apple would break the seals on the boxes, and run an updater on them?

Assuming they did something that labor-intensive in the first place, which they wouldn't, the machine would simply be re-imaged.

kronborg

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2011
Copenhagen
If I'm right, getting the new Mac before the release of ML will give you ML in the App Store (free, when it's released), allowing you to install it on several Macs via the App Store.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I'm waiting. I dont want to have to re-install a new OS on a "new" computer. Just a personal preference. Like choosing whether or not you want to be living next to a registered sex offender.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I thought it was any Mac purchased now new from the store that qualified (remember, Mac minis are still 2011 machines).
No, you're right... I keep forgetting some of the models like the iMac and Mini still haven't been updated. Any "recently" purchased Mac qualifies for the free upgrade, I believe.
:)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple's long standing practice is to ship the computer with the current operating system. To insure you get ML on your new Mac, you simply order it on the day it's announced.

There's no need to act earlier at this point, since it's highly likely it will be announced the day after tomorrow.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Apple's long standing practice is to ship the computer with the current operating system. To insure you get ML on your new Mac, you simply order it on the day it's announced.

There's no need to act earlier at this point, since it's highly likely it will be announced the day after tomorrow.

So you are saying that all the current MBAs in stores and warehouses will be opened up and updated once ML hits so that buyers can have ML on their newly purchased and recently opened up and resigilated MBA? You're story just doesn't sound right at all...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
So you are saying that all the current MBAs in stores and warehouses will be opened up and updated once ML hits so that buyers can have ML on their newly purchased and recently opened up and resigilated MBA? You're story just doesn't sound right at all...

I did _not_ say:

"you are saying that all the current MBAs in stores and warehouses will be opened up and updated once ML hits so that buyers can have ML on their newly purchased and recently opened up and resigilated MBA? "

You are reading too much into this.

It's not "my story" it's exactly as stated. Read my post again.

I've been buying a new Mac Laptop annually at each refresh since 1991, it's what Apple does as I stated in my original post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.