Ordering a Nexus 5

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Mr Rabbit, May 16, 2014.

1. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I've been doing more and more thinking about picking up a Nexus 5 to replace my iPhone 5, and give it a solid run until the next iPhone is released. If I'm not thrilled with the experience then I'll order the next iPhone (which I've been planning on anyway), so I figure this is a relatively good trial period.

With that said, I have a few questions that are proving difficult to solve, at least by myself as I've never owned an Android device...

1 - Warranty
    Google's official warranty page for the Nexus 5 instructs end users to contact them if they bought it via Google Play, or to contact LG directly if bought elsewhere. They really don't give any warranty terms or conditions on this page. I've searched elsewhere online and have found that it supposedly has a 12 month warranty issued to the original purchaser. Is this true, does the warranty not follow the device/serial number? Am I safe to assume that the warranty is similar to AppleCare in coverage in that it only covers manufacturing defects not caused by damage and/or abuse?

That may sound silly to ask but as a former Genius, who dealt with people who were surprised and appalled that AppleCare (including the original 1 year warranty) didn't cover damage, I often wondered if that wasn't the case for other manufacturers.

2 - Purchasing from Google, Best Buy, etc
    I had been looking at used devices but have learned that there were some hardware revisions to address early manufacturing issues. That combined with used prices still being relatively close to the Google Play pricing makes me think the extra $50~ to buy new is a smarter choice.

However, with a 32GB Nexus 5 costing $399 on Google Play and an "LG Nexus 5 4G Cell Phone Unlocked" costing $549 at Best Buy I'm confused as to why there is such a difference. Up until I checked Best Buy (with my only thought being I could just pick one up rather than having it shipped) I was assuming that the phone from Google would be unlocked, meaning I could toss in my iPhone's SIM (with adapter) without any other fuss. The Google Play store only mentions that calling and mobile data require a wireless plan (no kidding!) but never mentions AT&T, Sprint, etc. Is this just a case of Best Buy selling at a much higher price because they have carriers in store? Is the phone sold through Google Play unlocked and usable on GSM carriers or am I missing something?

- Side note
    I consider the fact that I'm even having to ask these questions a large failure on Google's part. I'm still keeping a very open mind to the new device/OS but I'm almost appalled that this info isn't found on their site with minimal searching. Googling "Nexus 5 warranty" took me to their warranty page, that says to either contact them or LG without giving any specifics. Googling "Apple iPhone 5 warranty" took me to the AppleCare page, where I selected my device and country then was presented with the full terms and conditions. Similar for the locked/unlocked question, Apple presents this info pretty clearly and forces their resellers to represent the info just as clearly, or at least close to it. Just my .02

2. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

1. Not 100% sure on the length of the warranty but I think it's 12 months. When I've made returns to Google they sent me another phone and put a hold for the cost of a new phone on my credit card until I returned the phone I had. I think you can skip this by just sending them the phone if you have a backup. It's not as easy as returning a defective iPhone but it's not too bad.

2. The phone Google sells is unlocked Best Buy is just ripping people off. Best Buy overcharges for every single off contract phone they sell. You should be able to get them to price match Google but be prepared to have to fight for it if you want to get it there. When I bought an S4 off contract I had to talk to three people ending with the store manager who called their corporate office before he would allow it. When I left the mobile manager was throwing a temper tantrum crying about how much money they lost selling me the phone for what AT&T charges. (AT&T was $650 like every carrier and Samsung and Best Buy was $800)

3. Mr Rabbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Cool, glad to know I wasn't missing anything terribly obvious. I've been more or less 100% Apple on electronics for many years now, looks like I've become out of touch with shady business tactics (Best Buy pricing). I kinda figured they offered replacements through mail in and it's good to know that they can pre-ship you a phone similar to Apple.

Anyone have any other info?