Ordering an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SaN NizZLe, Jun 17, 2011.

1. SaN NizZLe macrumors newbie

Fellas!

I am currently in the process of buying my first ever mac computer! Can’t wait and very excited! :cool:

I was wondering if there’s a way of ordering a custom built 21.5 inch iMac option (8GB Ram, 2TB hard drive) and having it delivered to an Apple store so I can pick it up? Maybe just order it at the genius bar and pick it up there?

I’m at work for the bigger part of the day and I don’t get home till the late. I just don’t want the package to sit in the front of my house for everyone to see.

Anyone know if this is at all possible? Thanks!!! ;)

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

It might be easier to get the post office/UPS store hold the package for you so you can pick it up after work

3. Objector macrumors member

Also, don't buy the RAM from Apple. Here in Europe (Belgium), you have to pay 200€ to upgrade from 4GB to 8gb, while I can order an extra 8gb from Crucial for 70€... A difference of 130€ and I get 12gb total instead of 8gb! ;)

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. SaN NizZLe thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true....never thought about this option. Although, I've never done this before. What do I do, custom order the imac and then call UPS/Post Office right after??

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You will likely need to wait until Apple provides you with a tracking number once the iMac has shipped. Then you can contact the carrier and ask them to hold at their location.

I haven't ever done it with Apple products before, but did so once when Dell shipped me a PC way earlier then I was expecting and I was going to be out of town.

7. SaN NizZLe thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!!!! I'll try this method then.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can't have a Mac ordered via the web delivered to the Apple Store. It doesn't matter if you order from home or the Apple store itself.

9. SaN NizZLe thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand this now. I just want to get my hand on a new iMac with 2 TB of storage and 8+ GB of RAM, etc without having it delivered to my house during the daytime when no one is home. I will have to order my machine and just pick it up at the UPS location. :cool:

10. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I'm going to pull the trigger this week on a new iMac, but apple ram is expensive. I would only other the minimum and then buy the ram separately from someplace like owc.com. It was about $100 for 8 gigs (2 X 4 gigs, with the stock ram it brings it up to 12 gigs total.)

My other purchase was to order an adapter from monoprice.com so I could hook my iMac to my hdmi tv, it was $10 shipped.

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure that delivery will require a signature. If no one is available to sign then you'll get a sticker on the door and they will hold it at your local carrier's office.