Ordering from the Norwegian apple store while abroad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Am3822, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Here's the situation -- I intend to buy a new MBP, but the local (only) Apple reseller won't have them in stock for the next few weeks. I will be travelling to Norway and I thought to order ahead a MBP with US english keyboard and OS (there's such an option in the Norwegian store, if I understand the language correctly -- just to be on the safe side, I attach screen shots for the keyboard and matte screen seletctions)

My question is -- can it be done? Will the store accept my non-norwegian credit card? Are there any possible problems that I should take care to avoid?

Attached Files:

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Yes that´s correct. You have that option in the Norwegian store.
    I´m a Norwegian by the way.
    I guess the only thing you need is a shipping address.
    I´m pretty sure they will accept your card as you can always have different billing and shipping address
    We also have 25% VAT or sales tax here, not sure if you can get that back though when buying online.

3. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Thanks. I don't think I could get a VAT refund, because it will be used in Norway (I'll be staying there for a while).

Even with the 25% VAT (I had no idea it's so high there) the prices are competitive, the low-end 2.2Ghz model sells here for NOK 14380 before VAT (our VAT is 16.5%)

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Then you should be fine. VAT is very high here. Half on food though and most culture is excepted.
    There are a few good Apple shops as well, Eplehuset and Humac.
    They are only found in the main cities though

5. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Glad to hear that. I see that you're in Oslo, but do you happen to know if there's an Apple store / a store which sells apple computers in Trondheim?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes there is: http://www.eplehuset.no/no/eplehuset_trondheim.aspx

You could try mailing them and asking if they can order one BTO for you, I know the shop in Bergen will order in BTOs for customers, but I'm not entirely sure how they'll react to an international e-mail... ;)

7. onicon macrumors regular

onicon

be advised that the international keyboard layout is not the same as the us american. though it is very similar, there are som differences: the enter key is shaped differently and you get a "`"/"~"-key right next to the left shift key. see more at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304933

8. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Thanks, I'll have a word with them today and see if it can be done. According to the link, the International layout is the same as the Hebrew layout (apart from the Hebrew engravings, obviously), and there's always Ukelele for the fine adjustments.

EDIT: epelhuset do not offer int'l keyboard & English OS in their customization. I'll have to ask about that as well.

9. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I cannot see any problem in ordering from the Apple Online Store from another country. In Europe I believe all sales are controlled from Apples's offices in Cork, Ireland anyway.

I can recommend buying from the Online store since if you want a BTO machine they can ship it to you quicker. My experience with Eplehuset and especially Humac is that it takes a lot longer if you order from them.

If I were you I would just call your country's Apple Online Store and ask them if they can help. I'm quite sure they can put you through to the right department or give you the correct phone number to ring.

The only problem I find with the online store is if the product is not right, it can take a lot more time exchanging it for a new one, but it all works out well in the end, other than that they are very efficient. I also like the fact that the machine is delivered right to your door.

10. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration.

And there you have the problem in a nutshell -- there is no Apple Store here, only a semi-official reseller of some sort with its own online store.

11. onicon macrumors regular

onicon

weird idea, but have you thought of emailing them? ;)

12. Nordichund macrumors 6502

What I would do would be to try and find a telephone number to reach Apple directly in Cork to see if someone could then give you the right department or number. Otherwise if you trust somebody already in Norway, you could always get them to order the computer for you.

Good luck.

13. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Actually, I couldn't find an email for the Apple store (neither the US nor the Norwegian one).