Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Good choice. In the end, you have to go for the best you can afford, and if you're gonna do photo editing, esp if it is RAW files from any modern SLR, then 16Gb is definitely more useful than a few more MHz. Personally I still use my 2008 iMac maxed to 6 Gb RAM for my photo editing in Aperture and Photoshop, and it's straining at times purely due to RAM, esp if I need to edit an Aperture file in Photoshop at the same time. If I could afford it, any recent vintage iMac with 16Gb and Nvidia graphics would be my choice. Not a fan of Intel integrated graphics, though it is fine for most non-intensive use.

a4est42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
CA
Good choice. In the end, you have to go for the best you can afford, and if you're gonna do photo editing, esp if it is RAW files from any modern SLR, then 16Gb is definitely more useful than a few more MHz. Personally I still use my 2008 iMac maxed to 6 Gb RAM for my photo editing in Aperture and Photoshop, and it's straining at times purely due to RAM, esp if I need to edit an Aperture file in Photoshop at the same time. If I could afford it, any recent vintage iMac with 16Gb and Nvidia graphics would be my choice. Not a fan of Intel integrated graphics, though it is fine for most non-intensive use.

I upgraded my 2009 MBP myself from 4 MB to 8 MB RAM so in the end as you say you go with the best you can afford. My first computer was a Heath Zenith Z89 that my dad built so as you say "we've come along way baby." :D

Last edited:

gibkibonzo

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
So if you were me would this be my best bet? $100 more than I intended)

8GB RAM
512 Flash

It would be enough for my photo library by a factor of 2 and some can be stored.

I so appreciate the help.

The above spec costs $1799. If that's $100 more than you intended, get:

16GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive

That one is $1699, but to be honest, you won't need more than 8GB of RAM for a very long time with your use, just as you won't need a higher clocked CPU (as well as a dedicated nVidia card that comes with it - since Iris Pro is a very capable GPU and would suit your uses well). For everyday use, you'll also never notice the advantages of SSD over Fusion Drive and don't trust opinions stating otherwise. In fact, it could be the opposite, since you're stating that your photo library would be on the internal drive. Cheap extra space is much appreciated.

If I was in your place, I would just add the Fusion Drive to the basic configuration. You would be very pleased with that $1499 machine:

8GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive

a4est42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
CA
The above spec costs $1799. If that's $100 more than you intended, get:

16GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive

That one is $1699, but to be honest, you won't need more than 8GB of RAM for a very long time with your use, just as you won't need a higher clocked CPU (as well as a dedicated nVidia card that comes with it - since Iris Pro is a very capable GPU and would suit your uses well). For everyday use, you'll also never notice the advantages of SSD over Fusion Drive and don't trust opinions stating otherwise. In fact, it could be the opposite, since you're stating that your photo library would be on the internal drive. Cheap extra space is much appreciated.

If I was in your place, I would just add the Fusion Drive to the basic configuration. You would be very pleased with that $1499 machine:

8GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive

It actually came down to these two choices in the end. I went with the 16GB for future proofing against a memory intensive new Aperture. Since I had a Friends and family discount. The upgrade cost me $170 so I went for it.

This is what I ordered and should be arriving about a week from today.

16GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive

I'll let you all know when it arrives how I feel about the decision.

a4est42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
CA
Just wanted to update

I ordered my iMAC on Saturday of the holiday weekend and they said it would ship in 1-4 business days. Tuesday was the first business day after I ordered it shipped Tuesday and arrived Wednesday!!!!:eek:

I am very happy with my purchase and am busy migrating programs and files. I know I could have used the Migration assistant but just like moving you can move everything or you can go through it all and move just what you need.

the 21.5 is plenty big for me. i think my neck would bother me if I got any bigger! Since I was moving up from a 13" MBP what a difference working in Aperture on the big screen.

thanks again to everyone for their help.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Base 2.7=$1299
16 gig mem ug=$200
256 flash ug=$200
applecare=$169

total=$1868

Now go to the store!

edit: base is more then enough cpu power,16 mem because upgrading on these is a pain,256 ssd because for future resale, people will only want ssd as that's all future computers will come with! (512 is unneeded as you can use external storage for music,videos ect),applecare because stuff does break and better safe then sorry.

I did it yesterday!!! Now, I am now waiting for the delivery date (around end of March).

I bought this BTO configuration from a local store (Media Markt, Europe).

Actually, with 300$ (not the standard 169$ 3-year Apple Care plan), I insured my iMac with a 4-year Media Markt warranty plus 4-year protection plan (broken, stolen etc). :)

a4est42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
CA
I did it yesterday!!! Now, I am now waiting for the delivery date (around end of March).

I bought this BTO configuration from a local store (Media Markt, Europe).

Actually, with 300$ (not the standard 169$ 3-year Apple Care plan), I insured my iMac with a 4-year Media Markt warranty plus 4-year protection plan (broken, stolen etc). :)

I am loving mine. I chose not to use the migrate function and i am taking my time doing fresh installs if programs and moving over things like my collected library of Fonts as well as docs, media etc. just like when you move its a good time to sort through, edit and get rid of lots of junk. I am enjoying the big screen even more than I thought. just right for moving up from a 13" MBP.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.