Ordering iPad 2 from Canada for use in the UK

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zoom7000, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Zoom7000 macrumors newbie

My friend wants to buy an iPad 2 and has some relatives coming from Canada where the base 16Gb WiFi model costs $519 (£332) so quite a bit cheaper than the UK model. If they buy one for him, will it work all fine in the UK? Regional settings etc? He understands that it'll have a Canada style 2 pin plug, but he can live with using an adapter or buying a replacement from here in the UK.

Should it all be OK?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Should work fine. As far as the power adapter, I think it's a universal power adapter. The American one at least has a removable plug that I'm assuming you can swap out for whatever type is required.

3. jonnyb macrumors 65816

It'll be fine. I bought an original iPad in Montreal last year and I just had to swap the plug.

4. mandos01 macrumors newbie

Adapters etc will be fine but they will have to pay the Canadian sales tax on top of $519. I think it is between 11% and 13% if i remember correctly, might be worth asking the relatives to confirm, I was in the same situation a while ago, where I wanted to pick one up when I was in Vancouver on business

5. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You should be able to claim back the Canadian sales tax on exit but will then have to pay the UK import duty plus the UK VAT on entry.

6. King Luis macrumors 6502

ontario tax 13%. quebec is lower but don't think it's by much.

the power adapters from apple have interchangeable plugs. you can buy the travel kit (which i did) so traveling around the world doesn't need a bunch of adapters, just plugs.