Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a US iPod Classic as there is no cap on the volume (all music players sold in the EU must have 30% volume capped; they don't realise that different audio sets have different output volumes). I have tested the differences and there is a big difference between the output of a US Classic and an EU Classic.

I've been looking for a retailer that ships worldwide and have found Fry's Electronics. In their terms and conditions, it says that charges (tax, customs duty, etc.) may be implemented during shipping.

Does anyone know what sort of charges I'll be facing when the iPod arrives in the UK?

Thanks,

Justin122

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Can't answer your question, but presumably you're aware that your warranty won't be valid in the UK..? You can't just take it in to the Apple Store if you bought it overseas.

...or so I believe...

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
It'll be your country that will impose customs. Most likely ridiculously high charges before you can take delivery of your package.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Can't answer your question, but presumably you're aware that your warranty won't be valid in the UK..? You can't just take it in to the Apple Store if you bought it overseas.

...or so I believe...

the apple waranty is worldwide BUT they probably will give you a UK version, not a North American version

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008

...or so I believe...

the apple waranty is worldwide BUT they probably will give you a UK version, not a North American version

Warranty is worldwide, I bought my first iPod in the US and got it replaced in the UK.

Why would they give me a UK version if I bought it from an American retailer? Surely they would give me the product which is stored in their warehouses (which I'm assuming is only the US version)?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Customs will seize it.

Yup, uk customs suck.

Buy one on usa ebay, and have them mark it as a gift for customs.

Really- it works all the time from china to usa-

NO I DO NOT KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO SNEAK PAST CUSTOMS MR IRS GUY.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Its HMG

Yup, uk customs suck.

Buy one on usa ebay, and have them mark it as a gift for customs.

Really- it works all the time from china to usa-

NO I DO NOT KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO SNEAK PAST CUSTOMS MR IRS GUY.

You have to worry about....Being an expat New Yorker, I have many relatives in the States, and I've been tempted on more than one occasion to give it a go, but have always purchased here. You might get away with it, but if they do open the package you are going to get hit with customs and excise duty And VAT.

I don't think I'd risk it....

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
You have to worry about....Being an expat New Yorker, I have many relatives in the States, and I've been tempted on more than one occasion to give it a go, but have always purchased here. You might get away with it, but if they do open the package you are going to get hit with customs and excise duty And VAT.

I don't think I'd risk it....

I was worried about the customs duty/VAT charges too, but the good thing with BundleBox is that you pre-pay all of your charges before it enters the country so that there won't be any hidden costs. The process was painfully easy, and as far as I know, they didn't switch it around with a UK one.

(I am not affiliated with BundleBox in any way)

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Warranty is worldwide, I bought my first iPod in the US and got it replaced in the UK.

Why would they give me a UK version if I bought it from an American retailer? Surely they would give me the product which is stored in their warehouses (which I'm assuming is only the US version)?

I think he meant that if it was replaced under warranty in the UK, you'll get a UK version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.