Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
So I am finally going to order my Mac Book Pro tonight (1.83 Ghz) (after much debate and flip flopping between a 17" Powerbook and the MBP). So I had a few things I plan on getting along with the MBP, anything I am missing or shouldn't get? Oh and I need someone to help me decide what headphones to get, I am looking for sub $100 headphones that have good bass and are pretty good all around, preferably NOT in ear headphones. I just picked up a 1 GB nano at Comp USA a couple days ago and am set on music devices for now. Also, what's a cheap/ good sleeve (case) for the MBP?

Edit: I am really pushing my budget, will I notice a big difference between 1.5 and 2 GB RAM? I don't want to void my AppleCare by installing RAM in the non user accessible RAM slot. So a 1 GB stick in the MBP is insanely expensive (in custom build to order), Can I get by using CS2 in rosetta with only 1.5 GB RAM? Should I scrap the monitor in favor of the extra 512 MB RAM?

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    37 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 85

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I would buy it at an Apple Store, they should have enough in by now. Will decrease your wait time. I was able to find mine here in Houston (I was on a list) but I got mine Monday :). I love it. Makes me sad all that money is gone though :rolleyes:

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Texas04 said:
I would buy it at an Apple Store, they should have enough in by now. Will decrease your wait time. I was able to find mine here in Houston (I was on a list) but I got mine Monday :). I love it. Makes me sad all that money is gone though :rolleyes:

You can't get the 120 GB HD (BTO option) in stores, from what I understand?

Edit: on second thought, I could always get the HD upgraded later, but I would rather get it from the start. If the Novi, MI store has a 1.83 Ghz MBP with 120 GB HD in stock I will be so happy, but I doubt it.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
I bought the iCurve a few years ago, and never use it. If you are getting a screen, you don't need to have your MBP raised, and the iCurve is not portable. The MBP will work with the screen closed, so plug in the screen, set it to the side, and work. Maybe you have another use for the iCurve, but if you were going to use it on your desk/workspace, don't get it.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
yankeefan24 said:
I bought the iCurve a few years ago, and never use it. If you are getting a screen, you don't need to have your MBP raised, and the iCurve is not portable. The MBP will work with the screen closed, so plug in the screen, set it to the side, and work. Maybe you have another use for the iCurve, but if you were going to use it on your desk/workspace, don't get it.

Was planning on using the icurve to raise the MBP to the same level as the Dell monitor for FCP work (when it's released for the intel macs that is). I might as well spend $40 and have another monitor that I can use and not have to move my head up and down when dragging windows between the two.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
corywoolf said:
Was planning on using the icurve to raise the MBP to the same level as the Dell monitor for FCP work (when it's released for the intel macs that is). I might as well spend $40 and have another monitor that I can use and not have to move my head up and down when dragging windows between the two.

i forgot aboug spanning:eek:

another side note: do you need the lock? are you in a public place, office, dorm, unsafe neighborhood/building, etc. you probably need it, but just wondering.

Towel

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2003
corywoolf said:
I don't want to void my AppleCare by installing RAM in the non user accessible RAM slot.
RAM is user-installable in the MBP. Apple's manual contains instructions. You can also bring your MBP to an AppleStore or a Apple-certified technical to have them install your 3rd-party RAM later.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
I imagine that 1.5 GB of RAM will be lots... my buddy has a MBP with 1GB and it flys (although I have not worked on a huge project with it or anything) I would get 1GB on one dimm and see where it goes from there... if you need another GB you can get it third party (you don't HAVE to do it yourself although it is quite painless)...

designed

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
I'd say the 1,5GB will be enough for starters even for CS2 under Rosetta, many of the iMac users are going for that too and you can always add the 512MB more when your financial status lets you to.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
3 hours from decision to buy to MBP!

I second the concept of checking of your local Apple store.

This morning I was checking out some MBP posts of Photoshop usage under Rosetta: 59 seconds: :eek: while 2.7 G5 duals took about 41 seconds! So I decided at 9:30 AM to pick one up for my next photo trip this month, along with Aperture 1.1 (which I saw a beta demo of here in SF on Tues).

Since I leave in 3 weeks, I didn't really have time to order online (I'd probably have opted for the 7200 rpm drive, although I'm not sure the actual real world difference).

GAve a quick call down to the main San Francisco store on Market just after they opened at 10:00 and talked to the small business rep. She said she'd check to see if they had one available. I'm sure she went through the "waiting list" and called everyone, but about 30 minutes later she called up and said, come downtown and pick it up.

So the box is now sitting next to my desk - I'll crack it open later today and start loading it up for my trip!

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2213533#post2213533

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Towel said:
RAM is user-installable in the MBP. Apple's manual contains instructions. You can also bring your MBP to an AppleStore or a Apple-certified technical to have them install your 3rd-party RAM later.

So your saying I can access both RAM slots myself without voiding the warranty?

Edit: nvmd, I saw another poster confirm it, weird because I went on PBfixit.com and they had a new section on installing RAM in MBP and it showed the user had to take the entire computer apart, not just the battery coming off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.